Thursday, April 3, 2008

Parables/ Stories

Sunday evening, after we watched more of the ever entertaining March Madness, my husband starts a movie and asked me to join him. "Sure" I say with excitement. Seems like all we've been watching around here is basketball! I love my husband dearly- he's such a basketball fanatic.

Well, as I stare at the televison, I notice he has the movie "Jesus" on. With great interest, I sit down and say "ok" thinking Great Movie Choice! I'd much rather watch a movie about our Lord than to watch some craziness drama filled or action-packed movie of violence.



Eager to watch, I sit and take a nice sip of my kool-aid and begin to play with the baby, while we watch it. The movie is going great. Jokingly, we laugh at some of the actors and of course at the one who plays Jesus...a man with blond hair and green eyes. We both think.. What about the olive skin and wool hair? We let it slide realizing that, yes this is a movie we're watching!

A particular part catches my attention and forces me to get into a movie-watching zone. It was the particular part in the bible where the disciples asked Jesus why does he speak in Parables. This is what the scripture reads in Matthew 13:10..

10The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?"11He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

13This is why I speak to them in parables:
"Though seeing, they do not see;
though hearing, they do not hear or understand. 14In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
" 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
15For this people's heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.'[a] 16But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

Excerpt from an Article by John Piper.
To view this entire article, click here

Jesus' Teaching About the Mystery in Parables

Let's read from the parables how Jesus teaches about the mystery of the kingdom. Notice Matthew 13:11. Jesus says to his disciples, "To you it has been given to know the secrets [mysteries] of the kingdom of the heaven." Further down look at verses 16–17, "But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear. Truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear and did not hear it."

You are seeing the fulfillment of things they longed to see. The kingdom has come, but there is a mystery. Not everyone is recognizing it. It's not what they expected. It's here, but the way it's here is a mystery. That is the mystery. That's what these parables in Matthew 13 are meant to show.



WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN THE WORLD OF WRITING?


I've pray consistently and ask the Lord to lead and guide me through this writing adventure. God knows that the most important thing to me is being obedient and doing what His will desires me to.

I believe he's shown me through this passage that as writers, we tell stories through our writing- that should be given to us by the Holy Spirit (us Christian writers) that will speak of the Lord in a creative way that people will understand what the Lord is showing them.

I always said that my three main objectives are the encourage, inspire and motive people to come to Christ and walk in his ways.

I'm in no way comparing myself to Jesus' magnificent and abundantly amazing teaching techniques by using Parables, but, I believe that the Lord has called us writers and given us an incredible gift to spread the gospel message.

This encourages me to study the parables with a closer eye!

4 comments:

nedras said...

Hi, Kennisha. I'm Nedra. I read Mary Demuth's post, answering your question on the "Wanna Be Published" blog.

I appreciate what you've said here, and your reminding us of Jesus' explaining why He spoke in parables.

For the longest time, I felt guilty for wanting to write fiction, thinking, hey, I'm a Christian. I should only write truth. Then a "lightbulb" went on and I remembered Jesus' example.

There's so much truth in stories and parables and sometimes that is the only way some people will actually hear the truth.

God bless you in your writing!

--Nedra Smith

Kennisha Hill said...

Hi Nedra,

Thank you so much for your response! It was all weird for me because I thought telling stories were wrong. But you know what, the Lord had to show me that I'm actually giving examples of things that can happen and showing them how to work it out in Him- by following his path. I'm very excited and my prayers is that readers would be inspired, encouraged and motivated to the good works in Christ!

Thanks for taking the time to view my blog!

God Bless You,
Kennisha

Ashley Weis said...

What a great post, Kennisha! So cool how you tied it into writing.

Kennisha Hill said...

Thank you Ashley! How are you? I pray is going very well!

Take Care!!!