Sunday, April 13, 2008

Platform

In the writing industry, you are widely encourage to build yourself a platform. What does this mean though? I questioned this very thing for quite some time and thereafter Tricia Goyer was gracious enough to post a blog about it on her mywritingmentor blog. This truly intrigued me. There she wrote:

Your platform refers to the means by which YOU will help sell your book by your presence in the media and/or the public sphere, or at least within the audience you hope to reach with your book.In non-fiction, publishers want to see what the author is already doing to get their message out there—before the book is published or even contracted. In fiction, they want to see that you know what it will take to begin building a platform once your book is contracted, and that you will be an active participant in the marketing of your book. You tell them this in your proposal.

So, this I found to be very interesting. My platform is pretty much where I will market myself to get my book out whether it's by media, via the internet or speaking engagements; key words: marketing yourself.

Now, I'm not trying to get too deep, but follow with me please.

Let's skip to today. I'm writing in my car listening to Cam, a rhythm and praise gospel music artist and the song "Platform" pops up. I listen keenly to the lyrics in the song and am blown away. Here's the chorus:

For Jesus the Christ...
I'mma Walk it Out...
Live it Out...
Let the world know what I'm talkin 'bout...
Where ever God put me I'mma shout it out...
One way to the Father...
He's the only route...


A light bulb went off in my head and I realized that I must not get too wrapped up in presenting ME. I think it's easy to get caught up in representing who you are...but I believe if we are artist for the Lord- whether it's by writing books, singing or playing instruments then it's our responsibility to make sure people know what we are promoting and representing Jesus Christ above all and not ourselves.

Colossians 3:16
16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

That scripture speaks volumes to me because it makes me stay inline in knowing that I'm doing this all for the Lord and not self-glorification.

Click play in the video below to listen to Cam's song. You can purchase Cam's Cd here.



As encouragement, I think it's great to build a platform and market what you do. As believers doing work for the Lord I believe it's important to make sure we're representing Christ at all times!

No comments: