Saturday, June 7, 2008

Rest, but not really...


I took a brief (very brief) break from blogging to try and clear my mind, get more writing done, wrap up this book proposal and find an editor. Needless to say, I barely got the chance to do all of those things. I found myself reading other blogs and even writing two, I got some writing done and feel great about what I have- but still feel like that isn't enough- and of course, no editor yet. I'm still searching, asking friends, more research.. etc.

There is something I wanted to address though. I'm a part of TWV2 (The Writers Group 2)- an awesome online writers group, where we all come together with questions/comments/insight about the wonderful and challenging world of Christian Writing. I have learned quite a bit and am anxious to learn more. One thing we are currently discussing is "agents". My inbox was filled with an overflow of darn near discouragement about how hard it is getting one and how it's possible you can have a BAD one who won't necessarily "work" for you to get a nice publisher. Then I got to thinkin, if I worked so hard, had an agent agree to represent me and then he/she barely worked hard to help me find a publisher- I'd be HOT! Discouraged, I refrained from reading most of the responses and left it alone- bewildered!


Well, it just so happens that we had an all night of prayer at my church last night. It lasted from about 8:30-2am. WOW! Can you spell, e-x-h-a-u-s-t-e-d! I sing on the praise team so I was really burned out at the end. But, let me tell you; the Lord moved in such a powerful way. People were healed, delivered... the Spirit of the Lord was there!

There were certain times where we'd quote scriptures loudly; professing them by faith. One of the scriptures was Deuteronomy 28

1 If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God:
3 You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.

4 The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.

5 Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed.

6 You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.

7 The LORD will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven.

8 The LORD will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The LORD your God will bless you in the land he is giving you.

9 The LORD will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the LORD your God and walk in his ways. 10 Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they will fear you. 11 The LORD will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your forefathers to give you.

12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. 13 The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom. 14 Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.


This truly encouraged me. I had to remember to look at my writing adventure in the spirit realm. I believe with all of my heart that this book will bless many people. As I quoted this scripture, my book was on my mind and in my heart. With great strength, I believe God that I WILL have an awesome Editor (One I can afford), I WILL have an awesome Agent (One who will work well with me) and I WILL get my book published. The Lord also spoke to me through one of the elders of the church- and she walked up to me afterwards and encouraged me in the Lord, saying, God's timing is not my timing, but God is moving and to trust him. I wept. I thought, Lord, I know this is what you've called me to do because it's outside of what I'd "normally" do...but, I believe that although it's challenging considering my obsticals, it WILL get done. And I believe it and hold on to that as motivation to continue writing!

To, to other aspiring novelist, be encouraged and keep writing!

This, indeed, is quite a journey!

3 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Get at it girl. All things will come in God's time. I do believe that. He is working things out, even now, when all we can seem to do is to taste our tears of doubt.

You will be a better writer at the end of this. You'll learn so much, as I am learning. It's overwhelming, but you know what? God can do what we deem the impossible. He can intervene in miraculous measure on our behalf. Keep that in your thoughts as you pray and reflect and move forward with the God-implanted dreams he has placed in your heart.

I struggle with you.

peace~elaine

christa allan said...

Thanks for sharing such powerful scriptures.

I'm learning so much during this journey; sometimes more than I ever wanted. But I've learned the Lord and I are in two different time zones.

The agent I signed with in February is amazing, and the journey to that same about in an entirely unexpected way that only the Lord could've orchestrated. We're still waiting for an editor to pounce, and some days I have to stop to remind myself to wait upon the Lord.

So, now I pray and write and write and pray and write. . .

The Gospel Writer said...

I say this scripture with my 19month old daughter everyday!I'm teaching her early to speak life and not death. The bible says there is power in our tongue. We have to confess what we believe and back it up with scripture.

My mom used to say the Psalm 34:1-3 with us everyday. I've changed it for my family to Deut. 28 and Psalm 23.

Kennisha anytime you feel like saying what God is going to do/and is doing, you say it. Proclaim it. Even if it's to yourself in the mirror. Say it aloud and watch God do it.

I love this! Keep it up girl!

This is my family's daily confession -
Deut. 28 says I am the head and not the tail, above and not beneath - the lender and not the borrower...all my needs are met according to Psalm 23:1 - The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want. In Jesus' name, Amen.