Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Onward and Upward



I've finished my first manuscript! Thank God! First, I want to just thank God for his grace and for giving me such an awesome project to write. This has been a very hard, tedious, frustrating, yet, exhilerating experience. I've learned so much from the writing part. Mostly, that I didn't know a thing about novel writing. I feel priviledged to have had Mary DeMuth give me wonderful pointers. Her blogs have been a phenomonal help. Tricia Goyer, Elaine Olsen, Rhonda McKnight and many others have the best writing blogs. They truly keep me on my toes as a writer. And although I haven't met most of them face to face, I still feel as if the Lord put them in my path to help me through this publishing process.

Thankfully, I've finished the first step; a step that took only about 8 months to do. Nevertheless, it's done and the next part is EDITING! Yikes! Lawd knows I'm nervous just thinking about it.

One awesome thing that happened, just as I was getting into Chapter 18, was my voice- I found it! I was so excited. I wrote Mary and told her how comfortable I feel writing in first person. Of course, this completely sucks being that I wrote the first 17 chapters in a different way. I'm no English major, but I know I have to go back and make the proper adjustments. This is my voice and it will make my entire book shine! This is what I'm the most excited about.

I do, however, want to give personal thanks to my darling husband and our son. They have been so patient. My little man will be one years old on August 16th. My prayer was that I finished it before his first birthday. That's a huge stress reliever. I'm 'normally' a stay at home mommy. Lately, I've been a wreck- desperately pushing myself to finish this thing. But, my husband... this man pushes me as if he really cares about this project. He believes in me more than anyone else, and I love him and appreciate his support. My husband will help me edit. It's expensive to get an editor, so, he's going to help me edit and prepare to query a few agents and publishers.

Writing a book is hard work. This part was probably the easiest. Please, if you are a seasoned writer/author/novelist... any wisdom about my next step is greatly appreciated!


Here we go...

Here's one more cutie pic of my little man. I love him so much!




Blessings,
Kennisha

6 comments:

christa said...

BRAVO on finishing your novel! Mary is so encouraging.

Your family is precious!

Rhonda McKnight said...

What a yummy baby. Thanks so much for mentioning my blog. I'll try to never disappoint with it. Remember let me know when you're ready for me to read more.

Blessings,

Rhonda

The Gospel Writer said...

That is wonderful! Congratulations!!! And the your little man is gorgeous!

Tricia Goyer said...

Congrats Kennisha! Woo-hoo! Keep us updated on the editing progress!

Blessings,
Tricia

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

This is so awesome! I'm very excited for you and what the next step holds. Keep to the pen. I'd love to stay in touch. Email me if need be. My husband and son have been on a mission trip to Bolivia and just returned, so I've been swamped with mothering!

peace~elaine

Nedra said...

God bless you with this great work, Kennisha. You are blessed to have the love and support of a beautiful family. The Lord bless you and keep you!