Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Writing Tips: Getting Personal

Dear Aspiring Novelist, Writers and Bloggers,

This will be the first of many to come. I am learning so much through my writing journey, I thought it would be nice to share what I'm learning and where I'm learning it form. Starting today and then every Tuesday and Thursday, I will be posting excerpts from different books and calling it Writing Tips. I've learned massive amounts of writing "stuff" from being a part of the Writers Digest Book Club. Once a month I'm sent a book that always seems to be right on time that has answers for what I'm currently facing with my WIP. To find out how you can join the Writers Digest Book Club, please click here.

The first Writing Tips exerpt is from is "The Mind of Your Story: Discover what drives your fiction" by Lisa Lenard-Cook, chapter 6, Getting Personal



Because Narrative voice and narrative distance are so closely intertwined, how you choose to tell your fiction is just as important as wat you have to tell. Your story's personal is the equivalent of its way of speaking, and whether you choose first or third (or the less desirable second) person, and whether you choose to align your narrative voice with your character's or take a step (or more) back, can make an enormous difference from the story your reader perceives.

Person, for the purposes of fiction, refers to the person who is telling the story, what in poetry is called the "speaker." (I like this term because itimmediaely does away wit the incorrect but common assumption that author and narrator are one and the same.) When it comes to telling a fiction, first and third person are your best choices; second person is less desirable, throug I'll include it when I go into more depth so you can see for yourself.

Sometimes the easiest way to undersand something is to see it, so here's a table that outlines person in fiction:



Tips for Each:

1) A good first-person narrator feels comfortable to both writer and reader, because tis is he way we're used to hearing stories told. Contemporary readers not only take first-person narrators for granted, they believe what a first-person narrator tells them.

2) Second-person narratives almost always feel precocious. They call attention to themselves in the same way that a precocious child demands attention.

3) Third-person narration can feel distant.


I'll stop here. Please purchase this book. It's a great teacher!

I pray this helps you in your writing journey!

To purchase this book, please click here.

Blessings,
Kennisha

No comments: