Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ruth's Persistant Heart for Naomi

First Blog in Women of the Word series.



Ruth 1:20 And she said to them, Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me.> (AKJV)

Have you ever felt like God dealt 'bitterly' with you, like Naomi said He did with her? I close my eyes and visualize her pain; her sorrow. Here is a woman with a wounded heart from the lost of her husband and two sons. Though some of us can't imagine the pain associated with family lost- there are some of us who do.

Naomi was bitter. She was devastated so much that she tried to make her two daughters in law to go back to their mothers. She needed them to get far from her because there was nothing she felt she could do for them- not even give them new husbands.

Ruth 1:11 And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will you go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
Ruth 1:12 Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons;
Ruth 1:13 Would you tarry for them till they were grown? would you stay for them from having husbands? no, my daughters; for it grieves me much for your sakes that the hand of the LORD is gone out against me.


How often do we find ourselves pushing people away when we go through trials and tribulations? I'm the first to raise my hand and admit it. Sometimes, it's easy to stay closed in and not acquire company. Sometimes we need persistent people who will stick around and help us get out of our deep holes of sorrow- someone like Ruth.

Ruth 1:16 And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave you, or to return from following after you: for where you go, I will go; and where you lodge, I will lodge: your people shall be my people, and your God my God:
Ruth 1:17 Where you die, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part you and me.


What a nobel, sweet and compassionate person.

I imagine Ruth was very much in love with her husband. But she also developed a kind and loving heart towards Naomi, her mother in law. Seeing her suffer alone was not something she would have just sat back and watched happen without wanting to be a help. I imagine she prayed and sought God to be a light in Naomi's world, and it was going to take a person like Ruth to do so.

As you continue to read in the book of Ruth, you'll be amazed at how God showed such favor upon Ruth to be able to be a huge blessing to Naomi. In fact, God not only blessed Naomi, but he also blessed Ruth with a husband, and Ruth in turn says to Naomi," Blessed be the LORD, which has not left you this day without a kinsman, that his name may be famous in Israel.
Ruth 4:15 And he shall be to you a restorer of your life, and a nourisher of your old age: for your daughter in law, which loves you, which is better to you than seven sons, has born him.


How beautiful is it when the Lord works in such a beautiful way to show his grace and comfort.

My prayer is that our eyes will be opened to see how God is already working around us in his grace- especially when we don't feel like anything or anyone is there for us.

Also, I believe we should thirst for an opportunity to be a comfort and a light to those around us who may be going through. The Holy Spirit works within us and gives us a comforting spirit that's supposed to be shared.

Let's share the compassion that God has for us!

Ps 86:15 But you, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.

1Pet 3:8 Finally, be you all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brothers, be pitiful, be courteous:


Prayer:

Gracious Father, you are so amazing- how you display your love and affection for us in various ways. Teach us how to be compassionate to those around us. Help us to be like Ruth, who was persistent in her desire to help Naomi. Lord you showed them your grace and blessed them both. Show us how to be a blessing to someone else. Thank you for your grace and mercy. In Jesus Name! Amen.

Blessings,
Kennisha

2 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Oh Kennisha...

What great news! I haven't been here in a while. I'm sorry, but I am so thrilled to hear the good news. I know you have many concerns regarding this new baby. There are warrented in part, but God will provide everything that you need now and in the days to come.

Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm so thankful for writing friends who keep me to the pen, even when I don't think anyone is noticing.

Please keep me posted on how you're feeling. I have 4 children, the first two close in age, that last two close in age. So I get it!

Take good care of yourself. Pace yourself and get rest as needed. I can't believe you're juggling multiple blogs. I can barely keep up with one!

peace~elaine

Provident 360 said...

The book of Ruth is a beautiful story and your post truly touched my soul. A friend in need, is a friend indeed. Here are some definitions of a friend (taken from dictionary.com):

1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.

2. a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony.

3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.

4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement.

Naomi was blessed to have a friend like Ruth, especially in her time of need. A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. - Proverbs 18:24

Excellent post! Keep up the good work.