Friday, September 5, 2008

Same Passion, Different Instrument

Ecclesiastes 3
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:


This picture on the left was taken at one of my good friend's wedding, in 2006.

Music. My passion before writing. I always imagined I'd have an album and I'd travel singing. Actually, years ago when I was still a teenager, my best friend and I recorded a single and it even got air play in New Orleans. We were so excited to be interviewed at a radio station. I wrote songs, studied the art of music, played piano- it was all coming from my blood and the depts of heart.

Lately, I've been noticing friends of mines who share a similar passion for music and I see their talents grow and flourish. One is working on an album, another one is a phenomenal music producer, and many others still sing and use their gifts for God.

I was sharing with my Praise Team Director, Jeff, that I've been in numerous music studios (really good ones too in Atlanta, Ga). I've recorded music here and there and sang at so many weddings I can't count. But, every time I've discussed a possible album, their eyes started to look like this picture on the right:

Although I know people use their talents and get paid, still, my desire is to create something that will encourage people in the Lord- not just sell 1MIL Records. Because of that an a very uncomfortable feeling I call discernment, I walked away. Frustrated, I stopped singing for a while and just sang in church and where ever else the Lord opened up doors for me to minister.

And, after I moved here, God did open doors. And I was invited to several places where they paid me to sing for different events. It was amazing and above all, I loved traveling to sing and use the gift the Lord's blessed me with.

This picture on the left is me singing at a church Banquet. It was such a classy event. My husband joined me. Honestly, I feel 'special' considering I had such a warm welcome. They are such sweethearts and the food was excellent!


This blog is just a jog down memory lane for me. Do I still sing? Yes I do- faithfully on my Praise Team and you'll find me leading songs quite often, helping the Praise Team leader. I absolutely love it and I pray the Lord continually uses me for his glory.

Like the above scripture mentioned, I know that there is a season for everything. Maybe this is my season to pursue writing and maybe through writing the Lord will open doors for music. We'll see what God says, but like my subject says, I have the same passion- to be an instrument and an open vessel for the Lord... I'm just using my pen as an instrument, instead of my singing voice, alone.


Blessings,
Kennisha

No comments: