Monday, October 20, 2008

A Woman of Grace, Strength, Virtue and Wisdom


This is a picture of my mom with her grandchildren. She's so proud!

Grace, Strength, Virtue, Wisdom- These are a few mere words that attempt a description of the woman God used to carry and birth me into this world. This woman is Zonthia M. Thornton.

A woman of the word; she is the model of every woman I’ve read in the Holy Scriptures. From girl to womanhood, I’ve watched her carefully tend to her home- making sure her household was in order physically and spiritually. She prayed. She cleaned. She instructed and when needed, she chastised. She loved beyond measure, even when it seems we didn’t appreciate her hard-work. She woke up in the morning and brought us to school and she was the smiling face we saw in the car on the way home from school. She didn’t rush us off or leave us in a stranger’s company. She took care of us. She devoted her time and talent to us; skillfully orchestrating her maternal responsibilities, while displaying an affection to us that was beyond just words. She is a real woman of God who exemplifies what holy living means and how as women, we should be towards our husbands.

I’m blessed to have such a mother- but I know there are many who don’t. “What can I do about that?” I wonder. I pray and ask God to be an example to my peers; yet, I know my wisdom is limited because I’m still in the growing stages of marriage. Who do I turn to for wisdom? I turn to my mother. I turn to her because she will only turn to the Holy Scriptures.

Countless conversations we’ve had, so far in my adult years. Topics of love, intimacy, relationships… I am privileged to be able to be so candid with my mother if I need to. She understands and is always ready with a plethora of wisdom.
She doesn’t take sides. If I’m wrong, she’s sure to let me know and then grace me with a biblical solution. She is human and to this day will always admit real feelings she’s having- natural frustrations of life at times. But she will always take it to the word to encourage and edify me to do what’s right.

“Girl, you need to go talk to your husband”, she says, sounding like a ‘girlfriend’. That’s one thing I love about her. Even if I accidentally say, “And girl…”, while we’re talking, she’s not offended. Instead, she says it keeps her young. But then, with the roll of my eyes and conviction in my heart, I know she’s right. I then talk to him, and we make amends.

This is a special relationship that my mother and I have. It is only by God’s grace that he gave us such a bond. It wasn’t like this in the past- during my vigorous teenage years. Those years were tough for us both, but by prayer, conviction, repentance and deliverance, God restored us. And we are best friends. I love her infinity!

If you don’t have this special bond with your mother, know that it is possible. If God can do it for me, he can very well do it for you- no matter how old you’ve become. If you do have such a delight, Praise God for it!

Ultimately, we should thirst to be an example to our daughters; to the next generation. We should pray to be like the elders- full of grace, strength, virtue and wisdom. This is what the Lord commands of us.

Titus 2: 3-5


Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becomes holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
Titus 2:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
Titus 2:5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.


Let’s be examples. Let’s teach our girls how to be holy- for God wants us to be holy and without holiness, no man (or woman) shall see God. If we care for them, let’s train them properly by showing them the way of the righteous.

I’m in great gratitude for my mother and every day I try to grasp in her wisdom, because I know her wisdom is the wisdom of God!
Let me encourage you.

If you don’t have this in a mother, pray. Pray because God can send someone your way to be such an angel. He did it for me when I lived on my own. He gave me a precious angel who I hold dear in my heart. And he restored my relationship with my mom and we are best friends. God is able.

Let’s wrap our arms around the mighty women of God in our lives and profess our love to them. Let’s pray for them and ask God to bless them. They are precious. They are endearing. They are virtuous.

Let us pray,
Lord, you love us so much that you sent Christ for us. But you also gave us precious angels- women who stand for the faith- to train us up in the word. For this, we give thanks. Bless them Lord, we ask. Surround them in your presence and grace them with your gifts. Thank you for thinking of us by giving us jewels of love. They are your jewels- the apple of your eye. Let us learn from them how to love our husbands- how to live as holy women according to your word. And then let us take what we’ve learned, apply it, and be an example to the next generation. They need us. Let me be ready for them. With a heart of thanksgiving, we pray, in Jesus Christ name, Amen.


Thank you for visiting. I pray you have a blessed day!

Leave a Comment. I'm anxious to hear thoughts of who your motherly inspiration is.

Blessings,
Kennisha
Photobucket

5 comments:

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
I have had several mothers-in-the-faith. One has been in heaven for several years. Another, I don't see any more. A third one moved last week back to her home state.
As I remember them, all three had their problems with health and with family issues. But they all loved the Lord.
They all taught me to do that.

Asia said...

This is very nice post. I dont have that when it comes seeing a godly mother. But I have seen the love for God from godly women who I have never meet but read about. If it is God's will I hope to be a godly wife an mother that is dedicated to her family.

Asia

Scott & Piper said...

Love it Nisha! You put into words what has happened in my relationship with my mom. It changed from something very volatile in teen age years to a great friendship now! Thanks for you words!
Love you girl!

Manda said...

This is very heart warming. I am sure that your mother is so honored to hear your feelings. I strive to be a Godly mother to my 3 girls. I work at a faith based residential home for teen girls (12 of them that live there) and most dont have a good female role model in their lives. I try everyday to be a spiritual mother to these girls. God has really opened my eyes and blessed me with the words to say and the emotions to show. I rely on God to get me through every situation and one day I hope to see that I have touched and helped at least one of my 15 girls as much as your mother has helped you.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. I spent some time on the phone with mine today. Not even sure what we talked about, but that is the beauty of being friends after all these years of doing life together. I pray my daughter will look at me in the same way as we grow together.

Hope all is well.

peace~elaine