Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Alter Ego or Familiar Spirits?




Beyonce has a new life, is a new wife and has a new name, or, another name. On stage she goes by the name Sasha Fierce.

She was interviewed on the Oprah show last week. When asked about her new stage name, she explained how she came up with the persona to help her overcome challenges of being on stage. "It's kind of like doing a movie. When you put on the wig and put on the clothes, you walk different," she says. "It's no different from anyone else. I feel like we all kind of have that thing that takes over."

The question is what thing are we allowing to take over?

The Bible tells us that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities in high places (Ephesians 6:10-11). That means that some form of a spirit is taking over. Not a ‘thing’.

Beyonce continued, "Usually when I hear the chords, when I put on my stilettos. Like the moment right before when you're nervous," she says. "Then Sasha Fierce appears, and my posture and the way I speak and everything is different."

Look at the above picture. Can you see a significant difference between those two women? We can safely assume that she is Beyonce in the picture to the left and transforms into Sasha Fierce in the picture to the right.

Is it really as simple as stage presence? Is it all just for a show? It would appear that it is ok to perform such a way, but what’s very interesting is that when asked about Sasha Fierce doing interviews she says, “Sasha Fierce doesn’t do interviews.” Clearly, she’s speaking as if they are two completely different people.

As Christians, is it easy to justify such behavior?

If you’re on stage and are about to perform, do you put on another mask? Do you become someone different?

Personally, I believe that when we prepare for ministry, we should pray and ask the Holy Spirit to take control of our performance so that God can get the glory. This is our call as followers of Christ.

Unfortunately, instead of calling on the Holy Spirit to take control, she calls on Sasha Fierce.

Beyonce told another source, “I have someone else that takes over when it’s time for me to work and when I’m on stage, this alter ego that I’ve created that kind of protects me and who I really am, the former Destiny’s Child front-woman said in a statement.Sasha Fierce is the fun, more sensual, more aggressive, more outspoken side and more glamorous side that comes out when I’m working and when I’m on the stage.” SOURCE

The danger is that Beyonce doesn’t realize the spirituality behind it all. Although it appears innocent, there are spirits lurking around ready to jump inside of us and take over. Biblically, this is called tapping with familiar spirits.

I’ve prayed and researched in the bible wondering what does God call such behavior and what does he say about it. I found that in Lev 19:31 God says, “Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them: I am the Lord your God.”

Apparently, I’m not the only Spirit-filled blogger who has a terrible feeling about this.

“What Beyonce is doing without realizing it is…she is playing with familiar spirits. That’s a dangerous game to play, especially when you are not a born again Christian, and clearly she is not born again”, says Lynn from www.Hicktownpress.com. You can read Lynn's post HERE.

What’s even more ironic is that Sasha Fierce has her own Myspace page where she asks people to call a number to reveal who they believe Sasha Fierce is? You can view this myspace page at www.myspace.com/sashafierce.

And so I ask this question. Do you believe Beyonce’s alter ego is ‘ok’ because she’s a stage performer or does this run deeper spiritually than it appears?

I’d love to hear your comments.


Blessings,
Kennisha

4 comments:

lynnmosher said...

I've been trying all day to read this. Very thought provoking. You've made a great point. Makes me think of the masks/characters we put on to hide from others. Great post! Blessings...Lynn

chakia aka thankfull said...

wow....that's crazy. Playing with those "familiar spirits" is not a game!
I never thought about it like that. I'll be praying for her salvation.

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
After reading your entry, I am concerned for all who idolize Beyonce. We need to pray for her. There are spirits out there that are not the HOLY SPIRIT.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree when I was younger used to be an amazing dc fan and read their biography and seen their dvds and before they used to go on stage they used to do a prayer, now she is calling on spirits. But please dont be fooled because she is making in sound innocent, she may well be aware of what she is doing!, guard your ears so we are not decieved and keep her and jayz in prayer!