Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Another Rejection- But I'm Not Discouraged...

"Thank you for your submission, but we do not feel that this manuscript is compatible with our editorial direction at this time.

God bless!"


A few days ago I received another rejection letter for my novel "Awakened". I wasn't completely surprised because I seem to have been getting those friendly rejection letters lately. Although my novel is complete and I'm biased, it's a very good book, still I understand there's much that I need to learn about the novel-writing technique.

I had to remind myself of something. "Lady, you did not take classes on novel-writing. When you started this book, you were very green about the publishing industry, had no idea what it tooks to write a book and had no idea about book proposals or querying agents for your book." This always brings me back to reality. I'm a very inexperienced book writer. I love writing articles and am usually very candid. But novel writing was my challenge and a part of me already feels like I've beat the challenge because I wrote it! My book is complete, but, it's just awaiting publication.

An author friend of mines once said, "Just write the book- don't worry about trying to please everybody with it." Naturally, I'd give him a loud AMEN, but there's always been a part of me that wanted to make sure I do things properly- by the guidelines. I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist because I know I'm not perfect and the only perfect person is Jesus Christ. I do however try to do things in decency and in order. What am I missing? Am I not writing dialogue properly? Does my scenes not make sense?

I find myself reading lots of writing books, studying technique and trying to apply it to my manuscript. I even wondered, "Is there a school I can go to that strictly help me with novel writing?" Well, one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to go to?

Then I get a reality check. I get that friendly reminder of what my friend told me and I remember who I'm doing this for. My book won't be perfect. Many other well established writers may hate the story line and may even think it's immature and needs some serious work. I've even heard other authors talk terribly about other writers' work. I could never do something so awful to another Christian writer whose poured all of their everything into their work for the Lord. That, to me, is not Christian-like and demonstrates immaturity. I believe you can critique someone's work professionally without getting personal and trash talking their stuff. That type of stuff wouldn't discourage me, but make me extremely upset. But anyway back to this blog:

I am doing what the Lord has given me to "ok" to do. I'm writing a book that will encourage and inspire people (mostly women) to seek the Lord and wait on him for their husbands. That is the main point of my story. I'm not doing it to please people... but to please God.

Colossians 3:23-24 (New International Version)
23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Let me encouage you today as I try to be transparent, rejection is normal and it happens because we don't live in a perfect world. But, if there is something you are working hard at- a goal you are desperately trying to reach, don't give up. If the Lord has it for you to do, he has given you the capability to do it and it WILL get done for HIS glory. Give your gift to Him. Pray that he will direct your path. Know that you can do all things through Christ who gives you strength (Philipians 4:13). When you get rejection in any type of way, don't let it get you down or discourage you from moving forward. Keep pressing on towards your goal. You will do it- in the proper season- it will come to pass.

I'm learning quite a bit through this process, but there is one thing I know for sure- my book will be used for God's glory and if only one person reads it and is inspired or encouraged, it was meant for that person alone! God will get the glory!

Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day!

Blessings,
Kennisha

1 comment:

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
Don't despair. God will guide you. At a Christian Writers Conference last month this one faculty member told us he did 15 rewrites on each of his book.