Friday, January 23, 2009

God looks beyond our faults...


Some people say first impressions really matter. Some people may attempt to make a judgment after being around someone for a few weeks- maybe a couple of months. During those times of waiting to see who people really are, we may decide, 'Well, I know to stay away from this person because of this or that'.

Maybe they appear to have a nasty attitude. Maybe they are standoffish or don't have much to say to the most friendly person. As humans, naturally, we don't want anyone around our family or close friends who may cause conflict or bring a certain 'spirit' around us. Though being careful is necessary, should we think too carefully about them by possibly allowing fleshly feelings to get in the way how God may use you to reach that person?

One thing I've learned growing up is that God is no respector person. He doesn't save only those who have the sweetest attitudes. God uses any and every available person who submits to His will and decides to follow Him.

God can use the drunk on the street to become a preacher and lead many to Christ. God can use a drug user/dealer to do the same. If God can look at people and see what they can become, why is it so hard for us to do the same?

I believe this is a part of ministry and service to God- compassion. We serve such an awesome God that looks beyond our faults and sees our needs. Think of where you were when before you accepted Christ. None of us were perfect. And if God wanted to, he could have zapped us from the face of the earth and send us all to hell. But he didn't. He looked at us in Grace and saw who we could become if we only submitted to His will.

Friends,

Let me encourage you today. If you meet someone and they don't automatically come across as friendly or likeable or if they appear to have the nastiest attitude- don't run from them. Don't ignore them. Instead, show yourself friendly anyway. You never know how God can use you to reach that person deep inside and be a huge impact on their lives. You may be the one God uses to help them.

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you." (John 15:12-14)

3 comments:

LisaShaw said...

This is a good message!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I am guilty of making first impressions about people that, in the end, turn out to be very false and to the contrary. I can think of a few dear friends right now that didn't make a good impression with me. I imagine there are those who would say the same about me! How unfair. We really should look longer and harder and be more willing to see beyond the surface of first impressions.

Great thoughts, Kennisha.

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL I AM GUILTY OF THAT AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO BE NICE TO EVERYONE I MEET SOMETIMES I FALL SHORT. GOD IS SO GOOD TO ME I WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN MY HEART OF HEARTS THNERE IS HEAVEN, GROWING UP IN THE CHURCH I ALWAYS WAS TAUGHT ABOUT JESUS BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON I STILL HAD DOUBT, I DON'T ANYMORE PEOPLE NEED PEOPLE AND ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT HE DIED SO THAT WE COULD HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE. LET ME SHARE THIS WITH YOU I HAD A DREAM THAT I WAS WALKING THROUGH A PARK WHERE I REMEMEMBER BIENG AFRAID ALL OF A SUDDEN I LOOK UP TO THESKY AND THERE ARE A BUNCH OF BABY ANGELS FLYING THERE WINGS JUST FLUTTERING ALL OF A SUDDEN APPEARS JESUS I WAS IN COMPLETE AWE, I NOTICE THAT THE PLACE WHERE I'M AT IS SO BEAUTIFULAND TWO BABY ANGELS START COMING DOWN FLOAT AROUND ME A COUPLE OF TIMES AND EACH ONE OF THEM WRAP THEMSELVES AROUND MY WAIST IT WAS THE BIGGEST SENSE OF PEACE I HAVE EVER FELT IN JESUS NAME I FELT I NEEDED TO SHARE THAT.