Friday, February 13, 2009

Celebrate during this Season of Love!

As of today, we have less than 12 hours before we celebrate Valentine's Day. What's so interesting is that so many people are looking for a "date" on this day. Boy do I know what it feels like to not have a date on Valentine's Day. Talk about feeling lonely. But do you know what? It was't until I learned what real love was that those feelings of lonliness disappeared. Love isn't all about dating and having a man/woman by yourself. Love is so much more than that. It is selfless. It is sincere. It loves inspite of and not because of. Love came and died for us so we can have eternal life. Love loves us inspite of our wrong doing- even if it's intentional- Jesus still loves us. I'm sorry, but this love beats the soppy mushy infatuation that many people call 'love'. I promise, if you are single, God knows your desire to marry. And all you need to do is seek and trust that He is the perfect God that He is- and He is perfectly capable of giving you the desires of your heart. Trust me, this is what I know! It will happen. Just wait, and trust him. Amen?

During this year's Valentine's Day weekend (starting tonight) my husband and I are going to be renewing our wedding vows. Now, usually when I say this, people automatically ask, "How long have you been married?" Really, my response is "Does it matter?" But, I just smile and give the three year answer. Yes, only three years and we are renewing our wedding vows.

Why does it seem like you have to be married for 50 years to renew your vows? Though this is typical of American married couples, it still doesn't make it an absolute. There's not written law that says you have to be married for 35 years to renew your vows. If people truly understood the meaning of renewing your vows, they'd have a deeper appreciation for it.

Here's what I know. Renewing is simply refreshing. When my husband and I, along with the other 11 couples who participated, stand at the alter, again, we will rededicated our marriage as one back to the Lord. Marriage isn't a piece of paper, contrary to what the world believes. No. Rahter, it is a sacred committment to God and to your spouse. You vow to love, honor, respect etc... to your spouse and you promise God that you will stick to it. And, when you make a promise to God, you'd better keep it!

What I'm saying is, if you love your husband/wife and think it's a great idea to have a small intimate ceremony to celebrate your love and have a new beginning.... go for it! You don't have to be married for 20 years to do it. God honors it and will bless your marriage because of your faithfulness to each other!


Whether you are single or married, enjoy this weekend. Do something special for your loved one. And above all, give Thanks to God for giving us the ultimate sacrifice that shows his undying love for us- thank Him for Jesus!


Thank you for visiting The Ready Writer.

Blessings to You,
Kennisha

4 comments:

Christine Pembleton said...

Congratulations on your vows renewal. Enjoy the weekend.

Asia said...

Happy Valentines. Thanks for this post. Today was great, waking up and spending time with my ABBA, my love.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A beautiful idea, Kennisha. We did very little to celebrate our love day; it's been a rough and busy week over here. I'm glad for your solid commitment to marriage. These "stones of remembrance" will serve you both well in days to come.

By the way, how are things with the book going? Would love to hear more only when you have the time. No pressure.

Have a great week.

peace~elaine

lindadominique said...

Awesome post! I love it! I'm bookmarking you and visiting more often.