Monday, February 9, 2009

Giving out of Kindness


Last week, the Lord graciously used such amazing and special people to give to myself and my family. You see, we caught some kind of stomach virus that was floating around a birthday party we went to. Without being too descriptive, I'll just say that we were a mess.

One day I made an attempt to get to the store to get soup, crackers and gatarade for my husband and son, who were first to catch the virus. Suddenly, I became sick and could barely drive to the drive through grocery store. A good friend of mine called and after hearing my attempt to get to the store, and with no success at the drive-thru store, due to it's closing, she decided to get to the store for us to get what we needed.

This was the first act of remarkable kindness. I couldn't believe a person would actually go to the store for me and my family during our time of weakness. I was humbled and so thankful. She really didn't have to display such an act of kindness, but she did. And she wouldn't let me repay her.

Being pregnant, it was especially difficult to take care of myself. The thought of trying to take care of a toddler and a sick husband was exhausting enough. My husband and I both could do nothing. We were helpless. And our son, even struggling to eat, still seem to be full of energy. My mother in law came to our rescue.
This was the second example of remarkable kindness. For two nights, my son was with his granda while my husband and I tried to take care of each other.

A third incredible act of help almost brought me to tears. Another good friend of mine wants to come cook dinner or lunch for my family. She offered because she knows how difficult it is to do some things when you're pregnant. My heart melted when I received that offer.

My heart is filled with thanks that people would come out of their way to help. This is the perfect display of God's love for us- how he uses us to be a light and a help to others in times of need.

So, I ask you today. Are you available to let God use you to be a help to someone else?

It is so easy to use the day-to-day as an excuse. But, what about bringing someone else food. Or, simply sending someone a card to say "I love you" or "I'm thinking of you."

Proverbs 18:16 says, A gift opens the way for the giver and ushers him into the presence of the great.

I just want to challenge you to allow God to use you in this area. This truly inspires me to be mindful of what I can do for others. I want to be a giver. I want to be a blessing to someone else. I want the Lord to use me in every way that he can-everyday. And let's remember to do things with a pure heart out of kindness and not to receive a blessing. Trust me, your good deeds are not going unnoticed and God knows our motives.


I pray this entry has blessed you today. Thanks for stopping by.

Blessings,
Kennisha

www.kennishahill.webs.com
www.maritalblissonline.com Subscribe Today!

2 comments:

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
As usual, you have looked into my heart and spoke to my failings. Thank you for being God's voice to me.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I hope that you and your household are well on the mend by now. Thank God for the kindness of friends and families and sometimes, even strangers! I well remember a few seasons of deeply feeling the love of so many people when I needed it the most. I pray to be just as giving and serving to others when the needs arise.

peace~elaine