Thursday, March 5, 2009

People Say the Darndest Things!


Do you remember the television show, "Kids Say the Darndest Things"? I tell ya, if you are looking for a good laugh, please go to youtube and type in kids say the darndest things. What you will find is sure to tickle you.

If you have children, I'm sure you can vouch for that statement- especially if you have three or four year olds. Some of the things they say will make you do nothing but laugh because they are SO serious when they say it.

Well, I've learned that not only do kids say the darndest things, adults seem to say whatever come to mind as well....and sometimes it's just unnecessary.

One day at church, a lady walked up to me and said, "Oh, how far along are you?" I could see this beaming look of curiosity on her face. "I'm 5 months", I replied, hoping that would end the small talk. In a very comedic yet animated voice, she says, "Hmmm wow. How many kids are you having?"

I was stunned! If you saw me, like others you'd think I have a basketball under my shirt. Now, granted I would love to add a few pounds to my normal weight, BUT, my very petite size 4 body frame just won't allow. And so, clearly there is no way I look like I'm pregnant with more than one baby- at least not in a perfectly normal persons eyes. WOW!

And so, I learned something very valuable from that situation. People say the darndest things AND people don't think before they speak!

Children are so eager to say things that they don't think too hard about what they say before they open their mouths. My mom used to tell me I had that problem. As a young girl, I was VERY talkative. In fact, I can go on and on these days- I guess it's a good thing I'm a writer!

My point to this entry is simple. Watch what you say to someone. I believe it's so important that we learn how to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, while we're on this journey. I mean, you want to be careful of what you say. If I was sensitive, that woman's question could have put me in a state of panic that I was gaining too much weight.

Secondly, learn how to brush off unnecessary suggestions. As we continue on this path that God ordained for us, (as I always mention) Satan will send people to distract us. It seems, people will always have something to say- even about what we're doing for Jesus. And most times, what people say can affect us in some way. What we should really learn is how to ignore that foolishness and walk away. Correct them if necessary. In my case, I jokingly said, "Do I look like I'm pregnant with twins? Oh no sista!" My smile indicated less frustration and that I was taking her question as a joke. Really, I was shocked!

Let's think lightly of the things people say. Sometimes you just have to laugh it off!

4 comments:

Tonya Nash said...

That lady was so rude and the funny thing is that she probably didn't even realize it. We really have to be conscious of what we say to others. I think we will do a lot better as a society if we choose to only use words that would uplift one another and strive to never use words that would bring someone down.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Now, when they ask me when I'm expecting, imagine my response?! Just kidding.

You're right. I'm so sensitive and read way too much into what people say to me. In addition, I need to be more sensitve about the words that fly out of my mouth on every occasion. I'm learning. After 42 years, you'd think I'd know better. At least I'm quicker now to recognize when I've offended.

Hope you're feeling great! Keep me posted on baby and on book.

peace~elaine

Daughter of the King said...

Oh, I could write a book about the shocking things people said to me when I was pregnant. I didn't handle them as gracefully as you! :)

I do feel that God has led me to your blog tonight. I have inadvertently said things to a person recently that hurt her deeply.

My Bible reading this morning led me to verses that told me not to judge and not to look down on others. Yikes. I didn't realize that's what I was doing. I got the message this morning. And now your post tonight just affirms His Word. I need to watch my heart and watch my mouth!

Thank you for your post!

:)

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
We have to have a thick skin in order to survive the comments we recieve as a writer. We also have to learn to take what others say to us with a grain of salt.
That woman probably didn't realize how she sounded. And it probably wouldn't have done any good to explain it to her that you are a small-framed person which causes the extra weight to show more.