Sunday, March 15, 2009

Train Them Early



Last week, my husband and I noticed something that made our souls rejoice. Our toddler starting holding his hands together and bowing his head before we pray to bless his food. He is 19 months old. I first discovered this Wednesday. When I saw it, my heart became overwhelmed with thanks to God. This is such a minor moment for many, but for me, it was incredible.

Here's why.

When I saw my son, in his pure innocence, reverence God, I looked at it in a much deeper and spiritual light. I didn't simply see a toddler mocking mommy- rather- I saw a toddler acknowledging God. When I told my mom, she said, "Well, you are training him..." Immediately this scripture came to mind.

Proverbs 22:6 "Train a child in the way he should go,and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Then it dawned on me- the reason God blessed my husband and I with the incredible gift of children is to train them up. They are our 'Borrowed Blessings' (Article on Marital Bliss' Blog).

It is urgently crucial that we train our children up to live by the word of God. This world is not getting any better. We've been saying it for years, but we are indeed living in the last days. If you turn on the news, you can easily fall into a state of depression because the headlines seem to always highlight the latest murder. So many people are falling away from the faith. So many people's hearts are turning cold.

As believers and followers of Christ, it is our duty to raise children who will not only love God, but fear him and desire to walk in obedience- according to scripture!

Those of us with children, let's be the examples of right-standing soldiers who are in the army of the Lord!


I pray this entry has encouraged you today! Thanks for visiting.


Kennisha Hill
www.kennishahill.com

No comments: