Monday, March 9, 2009

Tyler Perry's "Madea Goes to Jail"


How many of you have seen Madea Goes to Jail? Tyler Perry created yet another funny one. When friends ask me what would I rate the movie out of 10, I say.... hmmm about an 8 out of 10.

The movie had many funny moments. I've read some reviews and found that a lot of the audience think the movie could have been better because they should have shown more of Madea in jail- since that's the title of the movie. If you've seen the play, which I have, then you may have those similar expectations. However, I think the movie could have been better if a certain message was delivered a different way.

Without giving the movie away, I'll just share a little bit of a scene that really bothered my spirit. Now, before I go into detail, understand that I am in no way speaking negatively about Tyler Perry. But, as a firm believer in truth, it is my responsibility to be honest and share the truth with you.

So, I'll start with a question. Should we enable folks in their wrong doing?

This is what I mean when I say "enable". Let's say have a daughter who is a teenager. You know she is sexually active, so instead of telling her not to do it, you give her condoms or birth control just "incase" she is. This, is enabling. You're not correcting her. In stead, you're giving her a reason to do it.

Hear what I'm saying because I know this is a very touchy subject. If you're not on the same page as me, you're probably thinking, "Why not give her condoms or birth control- you could help prevent her getting HIV or pregnant." Though my thoughts sound as cold as ice, this is why I said it.

(Hebrews 10:24)
24And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.


I wholeheartedly believe that we need to encourage each other to do "good deeds". We need to tell people the truth about sin. We don't need to subliminally encourage them to do it.

Look, it's simple. The consequence of sin is death. Period.

(James 1:13-15)
13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.


Friends, I know this is not a typical post- it is a very strong. But there is something very important that I don't want you to miss. This really bothered my spirit because many people are enabling others to continue in sin. I don't know if it's feelings they want to protect or are scared to hurt. But, people, we've got to be real to these people. In fact, it's our responsibility.

You are not protecting them by giving away condoms, birth control or anything else like that. You are hurting them. You are giving them permission to engage in sinful activity. God, clearly, does not want this.

Again, you're probably thinking, "What if this person catches Aids or gets pregnant and I could have helped protect them from that."

Honestly, their are strong consequences to sin. If you want to protect them, teach them the truth about abstaining from sex. Teach them what God says about fornication! Teach them what the bible says about our bodies not being our own and how they should be given to the Lord. Teach them how they put their lives in danger if they are on the street selling their bodies. For heaven's sake, teach them the TRUTH!

I really pray that you hear this message today. If you know anyone caught up in acts of sexual sin in any form, or just really struggling with things that you know are not right, don't act like you don't know. Don't shy away because you don't want to offend them. Don't give them things "just in case" they decide to go there. Don't enable them. Do what Jesus would do. Tell them the truth and wrap your arms of encouragement around them. That's how you help them!

Thank you for visiting The Ready Writer. I pray this message has encouraged you today!

Blessings,
Kennisha Hill
www.maritalblissonline.com Subscribe Today!

3 comments:

Tonya Nash said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I'm hoping to see it soon.

This is a timely post. We have to be careful about the unspoken messages that we send to our children about sex. I'm willing to bet that a large number of people are not married to the person they gave their virginity away to. We have to teach the youth biblical and moral principles, not what is socially acceptable.

Kennisha Hill said...

Amen Tonya. That's why we're here- to teach truth and just like you said, "not what is socially acceptable".

Thanks for stopping by! BTW, your blog is awesome!

Blessings,
Kennisha

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

With you 100%. I love Madea and Tyler Perry; in his past movies, there's always been an element toward abstinence, and while I haven't yet seen the movie, I'm a bit surprised if he voices the matter to the contrary.

Teach them what's right...that's the way to go here.

Preach it friend!

peace~elaine