Sunday, March 22, 2009

What is the Recession For?



When we hear "Recession" we think of ourselves not having certain "essentials". We have to cut coupons to buy groceries. We have to cut back on certain luxuries. Some lose cars, houses..etc. You guys know the state of our economy. But, what about the people- the children- who LIVE in recession?

In one of John Piper's sermons "What is the Recession For?" Piper clearly explains,

"Recession hurts us. It imprisons us. What is God’s aim? That we would wake up. Does this recession bother us? If it bothers us, we should be bothered by the fact that millions always live in recession. Only live in recession. One billion people do not have safe water to drink. Sixteen thousand children die every day from hunger related illnesses. Almost eighteen million children are orphaned in sub-Saharan Africa."

After I read this, I had to pray. I'm not the richest person in the world- but I certainly am not the poorest either. I have a refrigerator full of food. I have clothes on my back- in fact, I just bought new clothes for my son. I have my "essentials"(plus more) for living healthy. But, what about those who don't.

My heart sank. I had to repent because I don't want to take advantage of the many many blessings God has given to myself and my family.

I prayed to have a heart for the less fortunate around the world- for the children who don't have water to drink. Can you imagine living in such conditions?

Hebrews 13:3 says, “Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.”

Friends, we are not on this planet for ourselves. We are here to serve. We are here to give of ourselves to other people. Whatever way the Lord has instructed you to do so, walk in it. If the Lord speaks to you about giving to help rescue an orphan- give. If the Lord speaks to you about ministry- serve. Whatever it is- have a burden for it. Have a passion for it. And move forward in service to God.

God wants us to remember those who are hurting; who are in prison; who are without food and water.

There are people here in America who are suffering and who need help. I want to encourage you to pray about how God can use you to help those people.

My heart aches for the needy. Does yours?

I encourage you to read, listen or watch John Piper's sermon "What is the Recession For?" You can read it here. Visit www.desiringgod.org to read other sermons and free eBooks. Desiring God is a wonderful resource for our spiritual growth in the Lord.


Blessings,

Kennisha Hill

No comments: