Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Microwave Mentality

Ahhh the fast life! When I first visited Atlanta, Georgia, I wondered why in the world everyone drove so fast. Coming from New Orleans where things move much slower, I figured I had a lot of catching up to do. Well, when I moved to Atlanta and began to experience their traffic, I learned there are quite a few frustrated people who are used to speed racing along I-285 who now have no choice but to slow down and deal with the traffic. Sometimes it would take me almost two hours to get home- even when I lived only 30 minutes from the office.

This caused me to realize how much we live in a microwave world; a world where things are done much faster. If everyone could have a jet, I'd bet they'd get one just to get to their destination that much faster. Instead of keeping it at a steady pace and enjoying the beauty of God's creation, we want to skip it and head straight for the hills. And sometimes it's for no reason. I understand being late for work- but Gee-wiz. If you're not late for work, there's no need for speed. And we should be obeying the laws of the land (Amen?)

Pacing ourselves can become a bit challenging- especially if we feel the need to have things done immediately. Truthfully, this is currently something the Lord is teaching me.

My husband tells me all the time. I'm about eight months pregnant, but am working hard towards certain writing goals I've set for myself. My reasoning is; I'm about to have my little princess and once she's here, I'll have absolutely no time to manage writing and a newborn- coupled with an almost two year old. Can you can busy? I can feel myself becoming exhausted at the thought of how things will be. But, what my husband preaches to me is nothing but the truth. I need to slow down. I need to pace myself. I need to take things a day at a time- and take breaks in between.

But, my inner drive tells me "No, I want it NOW". But the truth is, things don't happen that fast. People who have successful careers, for the most part, took their time. It took years for some to develop certain careers. Mary DeMuth, Author and Writing Expert, often shares how it took her 10 years of writing in obscurity before she landed publishing. Now, will it take you 10 years? I'm not so sure. Everyone has their different journey, so don't be discouraged with that. Instead, pace yourself and trust that God is guiding your path.

This same concept can be applied in all areas of our lives. Don't develop the microwave mentality. Instead, let that sucker bake in the oven for as long as is needed before it is birthed. Sometimes we need to let things bake a little longer before it's ready to be presented to God and to the world. Give God your best...and take your time with it. I don't know about you, but sometimes when I microwave things, I have to end up putting it back in there for another minute or two because it wasn't warm enough. Then I realize, well if I just gave it more time in the oven, it would have come out ready!

So, today I just want to encourage you to take your time. Pace yourself. Things will get done because if God willed it, He won't go back on His word. Trust in Him and watch things unfold. But don't try to get ahead of Him... you'll mess things up that way! Just sit back and enjoy your ride to success!


Blessings,
Kennisha Hill
www.kennishahill.com
www.maritalblissonline.com Subscribe Today!

5 comments:

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
You have good thoughts here. I have been at this craft for most of ten years. I have very few clips to my name. But I am doing it because God has gifted me in this way and I want to obey Him.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A perfect word for a somewhat fretful heart. Thanks, Kennisha. I imagine it won't be long now until baby girl makes her entrance. I'll be praying for you this week as the Lord brings you to my mind.

Heed your own advice, dear sister. Enjoy these days; you might even find them to be rich fuel for future writing. I know I have.

peace~elaine

ChristianMommyWriter said...

I think this blog post would be a good magazine article.

One thing I'm starting to help myself get out of the microwave mentality is making to do lists. I have certain goals to meet each day. It helps me because at the end of the day, I can say that I at least accomplished something.

Not too much longer to go on the baby! Rest as much as you can and take it easy!

MOMSWEB said...

Hello! I enjoyed my visit to blog...well, I actually stopped by each of your sites (smile). You're a busy wife and mother! May God bless you for blessing me.

Kennisha Hill said...

Thank you all for such wonderful comments!

@elaine, I'm definitely trying to get some rest. It really won't be long and she'll be here. I appreciate your prayers so much!