Thursday, May 28, 2009

Can we PLEASE be real?


Lately, I've been coming across various artist who are pursuing their respective calling; writers, musicians/singers, public speakers...etc. What I'm observing is how people absolutely LOVE to have titles next to their names. Come on now, you know what I mean. There are some writers who call themselves "Best Sellers" just to appear big to the public. There are artist who consider themselves "Celebrities" and want to be a Celebrity soooo bad. There are preachers who call themselves "Bishops"... I can really go on.

Maybe I'm ranting a bit, but I think this is pretty ridiculous. My biggest question is, why in the world do we pursue things for self-gratification? Why does the "titles" matter? Is it a marketing thing? Is it to generate more sales? Is it a popularity thing? Do you feel the urge to want people to know who you are so badly?

Let's get into what scripture says about this- and the only example that I feel is the BEST example when it comes to ministry is Jesus.

Jesus came as a servant; humbly prepared and ready to serve. He did not come to make known of who he was. In fact, back then Jesus would rather people NOT make huge announcements about who He was. Fame was clearly not something he was seeking.

Mark 10:45(ESV)

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.


So, let me ask you this. Have you decided to get into ministry for the perks? Or, are you looking for a name to make for yourself so badly that you have to exaggerate the truth about who you really are?

Here's what I believe God is looking for out of those who pursue the call of ministry:

A Humble Heart- God knows exactly what our motives are. Some of us love to be seen and to be heard. Scripture tells us in Matthew 6:1 to "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. It is not about who sees what we do. Keep in mind that God knows your motives. And, you don't have to try so hard to get God's attention. Trust me, God knows exactly what is in your heart and why you do what you do.

In these days, we need to be careful about how we move forward in what God wants us to do. We should work harder in service to people instead of trying to become famous. Now, does this mean you can't strive to rise and grow in what you're called to do? Not at all. We should certainly strive to be the best God wants us to be. But, keep in mind that God will work things out however He sees fit. Don't try to rush so fast to call yourself a "Best Seller" when you really haven't made the charts. Don't call yourself a celebrity, if you really aren't even known in your neighborhood. Come on, can we please be real with who we really are?

I just want to encourage you to not despise small beginnings (Zechariah 4:10). We all start somewhere. God's plan for your life greatly exceeds what you want- and for his purpose. Whatever His plan for you, he knows exactly what he's doing and why. Please don't try to walk in your own plan by creating a path that God did not create for you. Instead, allow God to lead you, by the Holy Spirit, down the road that's destined for you.

Humbly come to God with a servant heart. It's not about titles or fame. It's all about how you can be who God needs you to be right now. And right now, he's calling servants who will willingly come to serve Him; those people who trust that He'll take them on the best route.

So, today I encourage you to trust God in that. Please be real with who you are in Christ. You don't have to create a big name for yourself. Allow the Lord to use little ol' you and take you higher and higher as he sees fit. Amen?

Thank you for visiting today! I pray this entry has encouraged you to move forward in your journey for the Lord. Please take a moment and visit my website www.kennisha-hill.com. My first book Simply Wisdom was just released and is now available for purchase. You can order a print copy or an e-book. I pray it blesses you tremendously!

Blessings to you today,
Kennisha Hill

5 comments:

Kimberly Cash Tate said...

Kennisha, LOVE it! You said what's been on my heart for a long time. I see the same things you wrote about and I wonder who's really out here for God's glory--to make HIS name famous throughout the earth. When we humble ourselves under His mighty hand, He will do the exalting however He sees fit, for His glory. Thank you for this post.

Kennisha Hill said...

Kimberly,

Thank you for your comment! This is truly clearly an epidemic. People love to be seen and heard- even in ministry I'm discovering. I pray people would open their eyes and seek to be like Jesus, who came to serve! =) You're absolutely right, God will do the exalting however he sees fit!

Have a wonderful weekend!

MOMSWEB said...

Good word! Amen, amen, and AMEN!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sometimes its hard to sort it all out. Been there in recent days. We should never underestimate the power of our one on one relationships with others. In the end, I think they will produce more for than kingdom than titles or fame.

I just want to leave God's fingerprints everywhere I go. That's enough "press" for me.

peace~elaine

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
This self-promotion has been going on for a long time. I am choicey who and what I listen to on television when it comes to Christian programs.