Friday, May 15, 2009

A Closer Walk With Jesus...



Matthew 4:18-22
"18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." 20At once they left their nets and followed him.
21Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him."


Wednesday night I wasn't able to make it to our Mid-Week service. I had been dealing with a lot of pregnancy discomfort, so I thought it was best for me to stay home and keep my feet up. Kellus (Hubby) took little Kellus to church with him so I could rest. I kindly asked my husband, "Please take notes for me!" Our Mid-Week biblestudies are always so good. I really don't like missing a Wednesday. Well, my husband took really good notes for me. I was excited to get into my study time and go over those notes. But, I didn't know other things would present themselves to me- normal life obligations like cleaning, engaging with my son, resting.. etc.

I must have walked by my husband's bible and notes at least 100 times that day. Occasionally, I'd notice it there and make a mental note to pick it up and study. But then, I'd find myself either reading or writing something else. It wasn't until much later that evening that I finally picked up his bible and notes and began to study. But when I did, I felt awful because I felt like I other life obligations and responsibilities were taking rank over what should come first!

I love this scripture in Matthew because it clearly explains how the disciples left their nets and their families to follow Jesus. I realize how important it is for us to put down what we're doing sometimes to get in the word.

Really digging into the word with the purpose being to grow closer to God is crucial. This is our spiritual nourishment. This is how we become more like Christ. God's word is powerful and is lifechanging. Amen? When we miss out on our personal prayer time and study time with Him, then we are becoming spiritually ill; weak. And we open the door for our enemy to come in. We don't want to welcome him in, do we?

One way we can get closer to Christ is to understand that to study his word is to study him. He is the living word!

John 1:14
14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,[b] who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.


Take heart that this is simply a note of encouragement for you today.

Where ever you are and whatever you do, please don't neglect your personal time to engage with the Lord. Remember, our first priority should be quality time with the Lord. It's by His grace that we're still here. Let's not neglect Him. He is calling you and wants to eat and drink with you. Draw near to him and He will draw near to you (James 4:8).

I don't know about you, but I want a closer walk with Jesus! I'm never satisfied! Are you?

Prayer:

Father, you know we aren't perfect. Sometimes we put other things in the way, without knowing it. And, sometimes we know it, but chose to do the other over spending time with you. Forgive us, we humbly ask. But Lord we do ask that you should show us how to balance life with keeping our priorities in line. We want to draw near to you- show us the way. We forever give you the praise, honor and glory. In the name of Jesus Christ our Savior, Amen.


Thank you for visiting with me today! I pray the Lord would continue to saturate you with His precious Holy Spirit and bless you with an incredible weekend!

Blessings to you,
Kennisha Hill

5 comments:

skoots1mom said...

congrats on your book...just jumped over from Elain's PeaceForTheJourney blog...Mommy and author; you are BUSY!
take care and god bless :)

Susan said...

How wonderful, your first book!!

I just read your interview over at Peace for Journey.

Great post today.

I needed this reminder. Hope you are having a blessed day♥

Sharon Brumfield said...

Hey girl... just had a visit with Elaine and decided to come over and meet you when I heard you were a Louisiana girl. How fun!
I am glad to see that God is doing great things in your life. Isn't it "funny" how He will use just about anything to get us where He wants us? Yes, even a big storm. :)Hope you are enjoying Dallas...but if you are like me you miss being able to run down the road to get a poboy. ;)
I was raised in the New Orleans area....we lived off the lake front by the airport till I was 13. We then moved to the North shore(Covington) where I lived till last July when we moved to North Carolina.

Well that is it for our introduction...congrats on your new book. And thank you for being such an encouragement to the body of Christ. Nothing is as important as us walking closely by His side.

He is faithful!

Shonte' Press said...

Boy were you stepping on my toes today. Thanks for an on time word. XOXO

Brittany Tucker said...

I agree, I was reading a post by Ray Comfort the other day and he was telling people that the first thing he does when he get's up is read/pray/study, basically get to know God a little more. If every Christian did this think how much closer we would be to God. Great post!