Tuesday, May 19, 2009

God looks at the heart!

1 Samuel 16:7
"But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart".



I used to view myself as a scrawny & skinny little person- one that was too small to be great. Even as a young girl, it seems the other girls were prettier and I was the one on the left suffering with acne issues. I didn't go out for cheerleading because I had terrible marks on my legs and was embarrassed. I couldn't stand to take pictures because my face was filled with zits. This was my life as a young fourteen year old. Although I knew there were some things I was pretty good at, still my insecurities and low self-esteem really kept me low and in the background. I was afraid to step forward in my full potential because of what I was certain I'd hear- either I wasn't good enough or wasn't pretty enough.

We live in a world where critics just about rule. It's about how you look; how skinny you are or how long your hair is. Ladies, you know what I mean. You know what's out there and how the world views beauty as the things that will take you further up the ladder of success.

Just today I was watching Good Morning America and one of their stories discussed the importance of Dressing for Success. Though I agree it is important that we look professional and well dressed for job interviews, I also believe that just because you look good and prepared for the job does not mean you are the one. On the flip side of that, I don't think you'd be less adequate for the job if you weren't dressed to their expectations. In other words, I believe in the workplace your knowledge of the job is more important than the suit you are wearing. Similarly, I believe God looks at our heart more than how good we look going to church- no matter how big your church hat is!

I love this scripture in 1Samuel 16 because it places things in God's perspective. He clearly told Samuel not to look at the outward appearance. Jesse sent most of his sons, with the exception of David who was out tending to the sheep. But none of the sons Jesse presented to Samuel were the one. Samuel called for his youngest and he brought out David, who I'm sure was not expecting to be anointed because he was probably dirty and stinky from tending to the sheep. But he is the one the LORD wanted to anoint- and what he smelled like and looked like did not matter. God saw David's heart and chose him!

Let me encourage you with this today. Please take note in understanding just how important it is for us to have a heart for the Lord. No, God does not look at our outward appearance, but he does examine our hearts. This is why it's crucial that WE examine our hearts to make sure they are pure before the Lord.

It's quite easy to think we can fool God by Dressing for Success, but the truth is, God sees beyond our clothes and knows what's hidden deep in our heart of hearts. We can't hide anything from Him.

Psalms 26
2 Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind...


I encourage you today to search your heart and make sure your motives for ministry are pure. And, don't doubt that God can use You! It doesn't matter what you feel inside or if you've been tending to sheep like David. Rest assured that God knows who he's chosen. He will take you exactly where he needs you to be. I dare you to trust Him!


Thank you for visiting today! I pray this entry has encouraged you to move forward in your journey for the Lord. Please take a moment and visit my website http://kennisha-hill.com . My first book Simply Wisdom was just released and is now available for purchase. You can order a print copy or an e-book. I pray it blesses you tremendously!

Blessings to you today,
Kennisha Hill

8 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Sweetie unfortunately the print on your writing is too small for my eyes now especially to read longer than a few lines (so sorry but that's what happens over 40 :) I wear glasses and must go for a stronger prescription now so just stopped by to say I was thinking about you and praying all is well as you prepare for delivery.

Blessings and peace.

Kennisha Hill said...

Hi Lisa, Thank you so much for coming by today! I apologize for my font size. I did make changes- I hope it's a little better. But don't feel bad. I just got my new pair of glasses yesterday! I meant to change the font. I hope this helps!

Thanks for your prayers! We're just counting down the time before she makes her entrance!

Have a blessed evening,
Kennisha

Andrea said...

Beautifully spoken! And I so needed this word today! Thank you for sharing your wise heart.

Many blessings to you,

Andrea

Asia said...

Ilove this post. I agree with you and know how you feel. I felt when I was younger that I was nothing,too short , skinny and ugly. But I know who I am in Christ and that is all that matters.

And congrats on your book.

Kennisha Hill said...

Andrea,

Thank you so much for stopping by! Praise God this message was a blessing to you! I needed this word too!

Have a blessed day,
Kennisha

Kennisha Hill said...

Asia,

Amen! It's so awesome how we serve an incredible God who sees who we really are!

Thanks for the congrats on the book! It will certainly be a great read for you, as a college student!

Blessings,
Kennisha

MOMSWEB said...

As always, good word!

Marked Writer said...

Gosh, I really needed your post today! I get so occupied with daily life that I forget about the beautiful plan God has for me.

I just want to be used. That's all I need to know. How God uses me shouldn't matter in the least!

BTW I was looking at your pic and thinking about how great looking you are! I know God will use your trendy look to reach young generation!