Sunday, May 24, 2009

I remember when you...

A good writer friend of mine once explained an interesting experience he had. Friends of his, who knew him back when he was living a non-Christian lifestyle, were completely shocked when he wrote his first book. When they discovered it was a Christian book, they immediately tried to judge him by asking, "How are you gonna write something about God now when you weren't talking about God back then?" When he shared this with me, I instantly grew frustrated. I wondered, why in the world would people bring up your former life when you have changed and are not who you were once before. I'm not sure if you've experienced this before, but this is can certainly become a huge stumbling block for people who are trying to walk in their divine calling.

Isaiah 43:18

18 "Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.


I've always believed that our enemy, Satan himself, and our own feelings of inadequacy will bring up past situations. Satan dose use people to bring drama! But, the truth is, God- in all of his forgiveness- does NOT look at who we were once upon a time. God looks at who we could be. And when we respond to His call, he smiles at our obedience. If we obeyed God's call on our lives, our former life means nothing. We are not who we used to be and are moving forward in what God wants us to do.

This is where we should learn to be careful about who our friends are and who we allow in our inner circles. If people are bringing up past situations- trying to make us feel guilty for a life we once lived- then they are NOT your real friends. Let me be clear. Real friends will not bring up old stuff or make you feel bad for moving forward. Those types of people will only cause you severe frustrations and maybe present an opportunity to backslide by knocking them out! Let's be real now.

I want you to understand something from this post. God has created a very special gift in you- and when you do decide to walk into it, what you did in the past does not matter because God throws away our sins in the sea of forgetfulness after we've repented.

Micah 7:19

19 You will again have compassion on us;
you will tread our sins underfoot
and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.


When God forgives us, that's it! So, who cares what people think and if they try to bring back old memories. I encourage you to turn a deaf ear to those things. Instead of listening to them, take heed to God's word that tells you if God is for you then who can be against you (Romans 8:31). You are precious in God's site. Walk in confidence that God has awesome things for you. Keep diligently seeking His will and remember, don't look back! Keep looking forward!!!


Thank you for visiting today! I pray this entry has encouraged you to move forward in your journey for the Lord. Please take a moment and visit my website http://kennisha-hill.com . My first book Simply Wisdom was just released and is now available for purchase. You can order a print copy or an e-book. I pray it blesses you tremendously!

Blessings to you today,
Kennisha Hill

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Kennisha, how I appreciate your wise words as I read your post this Memorial Day evening! Satan is forever trying to haunt us with our past or feelings of failure. It is part of his plan to beat us into a state of defeat.

And, oh, I am just reminded of that scripture in Revelation about the martyred saints that says they overcame Him by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony. How powerful! Through our faith, we stand, unreproved in God's sight.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I hope you had a very blessed Memorial Day.

Andrea

Christian Mommy Writer said...

Isn't this a mess?!

Why do people feel it is necessary to bring up old stuff???

I have learned that people always try to remind you of what you used to be because they feel intimidated by the new you.

All we can do is live the life before them and eventually, they will have to acknowledge the new you!

I guess this is what the Apostle Paul went through! :-)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I needed to hear this today! It's taken me the better part of 15 years to get beyond the "guilt" of my divorce. Today, I walk in freedom, but this doesn't stop the enemy from trying his hand at condemnation.

Thanks for this...

~elaine