Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The storm won't last always

I remember my first trip to San Diego. I was about sixteen years old. My brother had just graduated from the Marine Corp boot-camp. I was so excited to get on an airplane. It was my first time and I was prepared. I had my portable CD player with me so I could listen to my own music and peacefully enjoy the almost four hour flight. Well, I certainly did NOT expect that we would fly through a storm. And, this wasn't an ordinary storm- it was really a pretty frightening thunderstorm. Although we were in the airplane, still, we encountered lots of turbulence from the lightening and wind. I was terrified.

My father looked at me and said, "Don't worry Kennisha, God is going to take good care of us." Though I know that to be true, still I was shivering like crazy in a state of panic. I could barely breathe, I was staring out of the window- opening and closing the shutters- and shaking my knee up and down uncontrollably. Then, I was prompt (I believe by the Holy Spirit) to press play on my CD player and allow the music to relax me. What's an incredible coincidence is the next song ready to play on my CD Player was Yolanda Adams' Riding Through the Storm. I was speechless, yet I closed my eyes and soaked in the words of Yolanda's beautiful song. It ministered to my spirit and helped me relax. It wasn't long before what felt like "10 hours" of a flight was over. We landed safely.

I woke up this morning reminded of this testimony. The Lord showed me that the storms we encounter, won't last long- although in our eyes they appear to last forever and we never seem to get out of the rut. The truth is, it's just a time and season of events that we must encounter to continue to build us in the faith.

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.


This goes for me too. We all "go thru". Right? None of us are exempt from facing trials. Our trials are different- but they are trials.

I'll share a very funny story about last night.

Last night a storm rolled through my area. Now, I was in a good sleep last night and was suddenly awakened by the thunder. Immediately, I got up and reached for the remote control to put it on The Weather Channel. I could barely see straight because I was still more than half sleep. So, I decided to grab my laptop and check our local news' website and see if I could track it there.

I was so nervous about the storm. But then again, every thunderstorm that approaches causes me to shake. I've been this way ever since I was a young girl. Sometimes it causes me to loose sleep- sometimes I'm instantly drawn into a state of panic and pace the floor until the rain passes.

Finally, I went back to sleep and woke up this morning, by God's grace, to a beautiful day!

This reminds me of the scripture that says, "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning" (Psalm 30:5).

Even if you're experiencing a storm that brings you to your knees in tears, rest assured that joy will come in the morning. Joy is a fruit of the Spirit and the Lord is prepared to saturate you in His joy.

I encourage you to rest in God's joy. Rest because you know that your storm won't last long. It's going to clear up and before you know it, you'll open the shutters (like I did) and view an unbelievably beautiful day!


Thank you for visiting today! I pray this entry has encouraged you to move forward in your journey for the Lord. Please take a moment and visit my website www.kennisha-hill.com . My first book Simply Wisdom was just released and is now available for purchase. You can order a print copy or an e-book. I pray it blesses you tremendously!

Blessings to you today,
Kennisha Hill

No comments: