Monday, June 8, 2009

Operating Daily in Godly Fruit: Love


Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


Love. What do we really know about it? I will never forget being between the ages of twelve and seventeen and thinking I am so in love. My heart would flutter when I'd hear the voice of my then "boyfriend". Every telephone conversation we had was a trip to cloud nine. And no one could take me from my high. Until, of course, there was some sort of a sudden crash back to reality- either our conversation grew old and tiring, we lost attraction to each other or we gained interest in someone else and decided to split. It was then that I realized that what I thought was "love" really wasn't. Come on, I know you know what I'm talking about. After many years and many heartaches, I learned what real love is all about... and that it is only found through Jesus Christ.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends

The truth is, whether you are married or unmarried, you must come to realize there is no greater love out there than Christ love. I mean, he was the one who took the beatings and was crucified- because God loved us (John 3:16). I mean, can any other love really compare to that?

My love for my husband, my son and unborn daughter is unexplainable! They are a huge part of my being. However, my love for God supercedes them all. Why? Because God wants us to get our priorities in line and have no other gods before him (Exodus 20:3).

What are characteristics of Love? Well, to examine the characteristics of love, we must examine the characteristics of Christ. He is patient, kind, does not envy nor boast- he is not proud. He is not rude, self-seeking and is not easily angered- he keeps no record of wrongs. He does not delight in evil but he rejoices with the truth. He certainly protects, always trust, hopes and has persevered- He never fails. This scripture sounds familiar? It's found in 1Corinthians 13:4-8.

I want to remind you today of your love for the Lord! God has done incredible things in your life, by His grace and mercy. It doesn't matter what your past looked like or what you've done. God's love for us is unfailing.

Let's examine ourselves. If we want to be like Christ, let's learn how to walk and operate in the same love that God has for us. Remember the scripture in 1 Corinthians 13. Meditate on it and apply it to your daily lives. Let's hide His word in our hearts!

Prayer

Father, your love is matchless. You loved us so much that you sent your son to pay the ultimate price- to die for us. Humbly, we thank you for thinking of us and giving us another opportunity to dwell eternally in your presence. Lord, I ask that you should show us the way; show us how to operate in the fruits of the Spirit. Give us the desire to live the lifestyle of faith and not just speak it. God we know actions speak louder than words... show us how to walk and live according to your word; demonstrating to others the same love that you show to us every day. All of these things we ask, in Jesus Name. Amen.

3 comments:

LisaShaw said...

I was blessed in this sharing Kennisha. I pray you are resting and preparing for your bundle of joy.

Marie said...

What a well-written and edifying post. I was listening to a Tim Conway message earlier today about the love of God and was just blown away afresh by how kind, gentle and loving He is.

Love the new look of your blog, btw.

Faith Imagined said...

That was a wonderful post! You are right. My love for my family is strong but but my love for Jesus needs to be even stronger!