Monday, June 29, 2009

Our Testimony Heals


Yesterday, my Pastor's wife came by to visit. She was so sweet to bring me beautiful lily's and just her beautiful spirit. I love and appreciate her company. My mother in law (who I love dearly) was there also- as well as my mother. I sat on the couch holding Kerissa and listened to them share. Now, this was such a classic moment. I am in my late 20s and these women are in their 50s. This very strong group of women had me cracking up in laughter at their motherly experiences, as they began to share wisdom on godly motherhood. Though extremely sleepy from being up most of the night with Kerissa, I was so appreciative of the girl talk they decided to have with me. I sat attentively listening and soaking in their knowledge.

My mother did most of the talking (she's a talker, which is where I get it from). As she continued sharing one of her testimonies, I could see tears swelling in her eyes. She shared in-dept how God delivered her from the spirit of hate.

After growing up in a household filled with physical abuse and then experiencing it from her father, she explained how the spirit of hate just about saturated her. This caused a tremendous load of baggage to be brought into her marriage.

She continued to explain how it was difficult for her to see my father as a loving man because of what she saw growing up. She didn't see a loving man- she saw a wife beater; an abuser.

I knew my mother's testimony- heard it several times. But this time, I couldn't help but see the blessing behind her story. Her testimony isn't just about her experiencing abuse- it's that God delivered her from the spirit of hate. And it's a powerful message of how God can do the very same thing for you.

Hearing people's testimonies always bring me to tears- especially when they share them passionately the same way my mother did. But, they are not meant to give you a reaction. Though heartfelt and heart-warming, they should also be heart-pricking. In other words, if you are suffering from hate, then hearing my mother share her testimony (by the power of the Holy Spirit) you should then be compelled to let go of your issue and seek deliverance and restoration.

This is just how powerful your testimony is.

The Lord taught me the importance of sharing our stories. They hurt. And, who wants to talk about what hurts them? They bring back very painful emotions. But, once it is shared with someone who needed to hear it, it can begin their healing. And depending upon their circumstance, their healing typically follows after repentance. It is the word of God's goodness that leads men to repentance.

Romans 2:4 "...do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?"

Here's what I would like to encourage you by today: Share your story! We all have a very unique testimony. God has delivered us all from many things. I know this because we live on this earth and as long as we live here, we'll always go through to grow. Pray and ask the Lord to show you how you can tell your story. If you're a believer and follower of Christ, know that your testimony opens a door to sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ! And, this is why we are here.

If you're a writer, write about it. If you're a singer, sing about it. However you do it, do it unto the glory of God. May Christ be magnified in all things!

Prayer:

Lord, you've brought me a long way. You've delivered me from countless things. And, for this I will be forever grateful and appreciative. I pray that you will show me how I can be a better witness for you. Show me how I can use my life- my testimony- as a tool to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it is only by your love for us, given by the sacrifice of your Son, that I even have a testimony and was saved and delivered. Teach me how I can help others who are seeking their deliverance. I ask these things in Jesus Christ name, Amen.


Thank you for visiting today! I pray this entry has encouraged you to move forward in your journey for the Lord. Please take a moment and visit my website www.kennisha-hill.com. My first book Simply Wisdom was just released and is now available for purchase. You can order a print copy or an e-book. I pray it blesses you tremendously!

3 comments:

Faith Imagined said...

Wow so true! BTW, I love the name Kerissa! I named my newborn daughter Karis but we call her Kiki for short. :-)

LisaShaw said...

What an absolutely beautiful sharing Kennisha. It blessed my heart.

I pray blessings over you and your family in Jesus Name.

Love ya.

Wanza Leftwich, The Gospel Writer said...

Awesome post! I know your mom is helping so many with her testimony. We should be encouraged to share and not be afraid. God can change someone's heart when we speak.