Thursday, June 4, 2009

What's In Your Morning Cup?


Psalm 143:8
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.


I am the first to admit it; I am NOT a morning person. My husband apparently got this revelation soon after we got married because in a couples meeting at church, he clearly expressed just how sharp my tone can be in the morning! (What he said was actually very hilarious!) Some of us prefer evenings than mornings- the night owls. Then there are those who rise and shine very early and get right into the day in beautiful bliss. I am honestly trying to be that person. Through prayer and communication with the Lord in the morning, I believe this can be achieved.

Just this week, I notice how my mornings are more and more of a struggle lately. I'm assuming it's because I toss and turn at night, due to pregnancy discomforts. My husband has to be at work very early in the morning. By the time he awakes for the day, my son wakes up and is ready to rock n' roll. Those of you with children, I'm sure you know what I mean- how kids seem to wake up full of energy. So then, by God's grace, I open my eyes to a toddler who's running around and a husband who's preparing to leave for the day. I sit up and sigh; hoping to catch another five minutes of sleep.... but there is no way that's a possibility. Thus, I arise and begin my day giving God thanks.

Sometimes a simple "Thank you Lord for this day" does not put enough fuel in my engine. What I realized about my day is that I need a STRONG cup of spiritual inspiration and motivation. I need the strongest cup out there that's available. What other way to it than by digging in the word?

So, today I want to ask you.... what's in your morning cup? Do you rush to Starbucks to get your extra boost of caffeine...the caffeine that gives you that extra boost to get you going? Or do you spend quality time with the Lord digging in his word and allowing your flesh to die and your spirit to get in line?

I tell you the truth, when I don't operate in the right order early in the morning, I am not the sweetest person. If I do anything else first then my entire day is off track. The first thing I need to do, as soon as my eyes crack open to the morning light, is to pray and open the bible and commune with the Lord. If I do things this way, very little things begin will aggravate me. And, if I am tested, I've already made myself available to God- which in turn allows my spirit man to overpower my flesh. Because of this, I know the best thing I can do for myself and my family is to pray and get in the word- leaning on it to provide my motivation, inspiration and spiritual boost. When I do that, my day is much brighter!

Psalm 143:8
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.


Today, I encourage you to prepare your hearts to give thanks and mediate on the word, before you begin your day. Don't rush to your laptop (I'm talking to myself on this one). Don't rush to your Blackberry or your IPhone. Don't even think about your calander or your planner. Instead, seek the Lord after he's graced you to see this new day. Come into his presence with thanksgiving and allow yourself to commune with the Holy Spirit. I imagine God is right there waiting to see just what really matters the most to us. Allowing ourselves to dig into his word first will benefit in so many ways- including building a strong foundation and relationship with Christ.

Allow God to fill your heart with peace and strength- the much needed strength you'll need for your day. Keep in mind how God knows exactly how your day will go. When you rely on him completely and do so by starting your day off right, you'll breeze right into the Will of God.

Prayer:


Father, I'm the first to admit that I don't get it right every morning. But, this morning, I ask that you would convict my heart and the heart of those praying this prayer. Speak to us Lord. Show us just how important it is to make you our number one priority- how we should be rushing to our knees to commune with you first in the morning. And through your precious and holy word I ask that you would fill us with your spirit and give us that extra boost that we need to get our day starting off on the right track. Show us the way Lord, as we continue to follow you on our journey's. This we pray, in Jesus Name, Amen!

Thank you for visiting today! I pray this entry has encouraged you to move forward in your journey for the Lord. Please take a moment and visit my website www.kennisha-hill.com. My first book Simply Wisdom was just released and is now available for purchase. You can order a print copy or an e-book. I pray it blesses you tremendously!

Blessings to you today,
Kennisha Hill

3 comments:

Kimberly Cash Tate said...

Kennisha, once again you've touched on a subject close to my heart. If I don't start my day in prayer and in the Word, I feel the effects of it, and they aren't good! As a writer and a homeschooler, it's been tempting over the years to get some writing done first thing in the morning before school begins. But I know that God has got to come first. I've got to seek Him first thing and commune with Him in His Word, then trust Him to supply the time to write. He's faithful! I need Him more than anything! Praising God for your heart for the Lord.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Kennisha:
I've spent 43 years not being an early riser. I've made a deliberate change over the past year to have my quiet time first thing in the morning. It's not always possible, and with the kids home for the summer, the struggle is even greater.

But I do notice a difference in my attitude and focus when I don't have some quiet time in the morning. I suppose this will be a lifelong pursuit for me, perhaps just exactly as God has intended.

Blessings to you in your weekend! Try and get some rest. I imagine that your due date is fast approaching.

peace~elaine

Faith Imagined said...

So true!