Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Change The Channel



There is something pressing on my heart today. Lately in the news, we are witnessing many tragic things. People are dying left and right and sadly we are also hearing about affairs as well. Death all together is very tragic- whether it's a famous celebrity or someone on the street that you don't know. For all of the families of those who passed, my heart goes out to them. I pray for their families peace but also that they would take note that life is as a vapor (James 4:14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.) I'm sure this scripture shows just how fragile life is. Followers of Christ, we need to step up and spread the Gospel. They need to know that their "life" does not have to end on earth- but rather that they can have eternal life in Jesus Christ (John 3:16). Again, my prayers and thoughts are with all of the families; especially the children.

Now, as I mentioned above, besides death we are hearing about adulteress affairs. What in the world is going on? It seems, more and more people are coming out and admitting the affairs they are having. Unfortunately, with NFL player, Steve McNair, his affair was discovered in a tragic way- his death. And, once again, my heart and thoughts are with his children. But, married women, let me ask. What is going on?

Okay, many people quickly say "the devil is busy". I'm sure you've heard the saying. Frankly, I laugh when I hear it because I've always felt like people use that as an excuse. Come on now. People need to learn how to take some responsibility. The bible clearly explains how our hearts are deceitful. Jeremiah 17:9-10 (NIV)9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? We can't blame the devil on everything. Sure, he exist and hates us enough to get us to turn our back on the Lord. But, there is something someone said to me years ago- Satan is NOT omniscient like God. Yeah, he has demon spirits to try and take us down, but Greater is HE that is in me than he that is in the world.

Married friends, we've got to die to our flesh DAILY. This thing is real and God does not play when it comes to adultery.

I was talking to my husband last night about all of this. Our conversation was actually really funny. (We joke a lot). But, I shared with him something interesting that happened a couple of weeks ago. This stayed in my memory, and you'll see why in just a second.

We were watching television and an attractive young lady appeared on the TV. Without hesitation, my husband changed the channel. Now, at first this struck me in a weird way. She was dressed modestly, so I knew he wasn't lusting after her. But still, he changed the channel. I thought, "Why did he change the channel?" In fact, I asked him. He plainly said, "The bible says to flee..." He was referencing the scripture James 4:7. Now, (LOL) I honestly did not get mad. This certainly struck me in a weird way, as I mentioned, but I appreciated his honesty. My husband is very real and honest, just like I am.

Immediately after he changed the channel, I believe it was the Lord who showed me that he is human. He is a man who has two eyes that work very well. Meaning, he's not blind to seeing an attractive woman. And, neither am I blind to seeing an attractive man. Although it is sweet to say that you'll never notice another man/woman and that you only have eyes for your spouse, let's be real. There are other attractive people in the world. We just need to learn how to not allow lust to take control of something or someone we simply see.

So, last night I asked him why did he changed the channel. I knew the answer, but needed to hear him say it. You see, he explained, men are visual. I told him just how different men and women are. Women are not as visual as men are. We can probably see an attractive man, but not necessarily need to change the channel. BUT, you should change the channel anyway. We certainly need to be careful not to lust after men. Keeping the channel on just to view an attractive man does not help you in any way. We can develop lust in our minds very quickly. And, lusting in our hearts is just about equivalent to committing an act of sin. (1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.)

I used this as one example of how we should change the channel in our lives. The truth is, there are many areas, I'm sure, where we should flip the switch off. I'm sure you feel me.

In Chapter 5 of my book, Simply Wisdom, I asked the questions "How do we really view the distractions of this world that are supposed to leave a sour taste in our mouths? Do we yield to them anyway because they taste and feel so good? Or, do we leave it alone and walk away?"

It's so easy to sit and take in things we know aren't wrong. Sin is pleasurable, but, it only last for a season (James 1:15 Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.)

And so I ask you. Are you willing to change the channel?

I believe God wants us to be smart- especially if you know there is a certain thing that you may inwardly struggle with. We should most certainly have a sour taste in our mouth towards sin- towards all things that we know are unpleasing to God.

Today, I encourage you to Change the Channel. Don't allow your flesh to over power the Spirit of the Lord who is (should be) living within you. Instead, do like my husband did and change that channel so that you aren't tempted. This way, you'll certainly avoid all sorts of drama. Trust me, we're hearing enough of it on the news... you don't need any extra drama in your own life.


Thank you for visiting my blog today! I pray this entry has encouraged you to move forward in your journey for the Lord. Please take a moment and visit my website www.kennisha-hill.com. My first book Simply Wisdom was just released and is now available for purchase. You can order a pr`int copy or an e-book. I pray it blesses you tremendously!

4 comments:

MOMSWEB said...

Great post, Kennisha.
Yes, I'm willing to change the channel and I'd rather just turn the t.v. off. Have you read Every Man's Battle or Every Man's Challenge? I purchased Every Man's Challenge for my husband, but read it myself and it helped me understand why our husband's find it necessary to turn the channel. My question is...do they turn the channel when they're alone? LOL

Faith Imagined said...

You are an incredible writer! This was an awesome post!!!

Faith Imagined said...

I wanted to let you know that I awarded you a blog award!!! There is a link to it on my blog!!! God bless!!!!

Christian Mommy Writer said...

Amen and Amen!

I was going to send you an email the other day when all of this stuff started happening. People are not taking their marriages seriously anymore. When people commit affairs, it's not considered a big deal. It's just looked at as a part of life, which is totally contrary to what the bible says about it.

Keep going with your vision on Marital Bliss Newsletter. It's definitely needed.