Thursday, July 30, 2009

I wonder where my life would be if....



Have you ever had a moment where you thought, "I wonder where my life would be if..." and you filled in the blank with a previous desire? Well, occasionally thoughts like that resurface in my mind. Sometimes I'll wonder, "What if I would have gotten that job in the CIA- would I be traveling in Russia working on an assignment?" Or, "What if I stayed in Atlanta?" and even "What if I would have never left my old job..." I'm telling ya, these type of thoughts could potentially drive you a bit crazy.

Well, I recently had thoughts like that revisit my mind and I know exactly where they stem from. My husband has been traveling a bit more than usual with his job. He's a very hard working man and is really good at what he does (though I'm a bit biased, but still speaking truth about him). He has been home for two days at a time before leaving for another five day trip to work another event.

The other day I had a moment. I watched as he prepared to leave for another five days and thought, "Gee, he really is doing what I once thought my life would end up being- traveling and being about the job". Thankfully, he has his priorities in line because his family is top rank over his job. He only travels because he has to and would much rather be home. But still, I felt a little envy that I had to repent for. I was excited for him... and when I'd ask him how his events were or even how the hotel stay is, (being that he stays in luxurious hotels) his answers would be very dry. A part of me inwardly screams Gosh, if that was me!

That was the life my parents were sure I'd have too. I was the career woman, working a job I'd love or hate but nonetheless traveling and meeting new people. But let me tell you how God has a sense of humor...

Instead of walking around carrying a briefcase, I'm walking around carrying a diaper bag! Yes, God truly has a sense of humor. Sometimes I find myself telling my friends, "I had no clue God would have me here today...as a stay-at-home mom. No ma'am, No sir! I was supposed to be the government working independent woman...surely not the woman found wiping snotty noses and changing poo-poo diapers! Again, I probably told God how I wanted my life to be and God probably smiled and said, "Oh Yea?"

Anyone else been there before?

This is what I've learned. Our plans may not equal God's plans for our lives. He may take you on a completely different path. I know he did that for me. But let me tell you, if I was where "I" thought I should be, I probably would not be as blessed as I am today. You see, God's plans for us always supersedes what we think is best. And, he has ways of revealing that to us.

What we should do, is trust that God is guiding us. Have faith and assurance in Him alone.

I used to say how some day's I feel like I'm walking with a blindfold covering my eyes...but I know the Lord is guiding me. Where to? I'm not so sure, but I'm along for the ride.

I believe that is the kind of attitude we should have-consistently- with God. He doesn't reveal everything to us right away, but he does give us peace about the trip because He knows exactly where He's taking us!

"Trust that God is guiding your footsteps. You may have some questions about where you're going or even if you're going in the right direction, but the truth holds firm that God will guide you if you let him." (Simply Wisdom, 91)

Meditate on these scriptures:

Psalm 9:10
"Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you."


I pray this devotional has encouraged you today. Pray for peace and guidance for your life's journey. Trust God and know that where you were or thought you should be doesn't matter, because God knows what's best and will lead you exactly where you should be!


Warmly,
Kennisha Hill | Order your copy of Simply Wisdom today!http://www.kennisha-hill.com | www.maritalblissonline.com

5 comments:

Christian Mommy Writer said...

I find myself in this same position. I never thought I would be a stay-at-home mom. I worked for several years as a very career oriented woman, even after I had my son.

But now, God has me in a season that is dedicated to being a stay-at-home mom. I can choose to buck against it, or embrace it.

So guess what I'm doing? I'm embracing it because God's way is always the best way.

LisaShaw said...

This is well said dear one.

Enjoy where you're at. It's a beautiful place to be because as I can tell you since I'm probably old enough to be your 'Mother' and that is that seasons change. GOD has us where we need to be until the next season. Your kids will grow up faster than you want them to and they will spread their wings and fly and a new season will begin yet again for you and your husband.

I love this: "Instead of walking around carrying a briefcase, I'm walking around carrying a diaper bag! Yes, God truly has a sense of humor."


Love ya.

Sisters Of Honor said...

Awesome post. We have to trust in God because He knows what is best for us. Although we always have our own plans, His is always much greater.

MOMSWEB said...

Great thoughts as always!

Jean said...

Thanks for this bit of wisdom. I needed to see this today.

Blessings,
Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhall.blogspot.com