Thursday, July 2, 2009

Rechecking Priorities


While I was on my way to a doctor's appointment last week, my husband and I had an interesting conversation. I shared with him something the Lord is dealing with me about, which is, how to really keep my priorities in line. One area God is reshaping me is in the area of friendship; really being the Christ-like friend that's needed for my friends.

Lately, I admit I've been MIA in that area. Although it is understandable that pregnancy, labor & delivery is a just cause for rest and relaxation (even time away), it seems I've been so busy with things on my end to where I didn't have much of an opportunity to call, check on or even hang with close friends and family. My busyness has really kept me consumed and distant. It was never anything personal- just a huge focus on my new book, other writing projects and my family.

Still, I felt so awful because, it seems, people would call to check on my family- only to start the conversation with something like, "I know you're busy writing-". After hearing it so often, I began to feel convicted about being so busy all the time. Even though I'm a very passionate person and writing is the road the Lord has be traveling on, I literally had to step outside of myself to see exactly what was going on. Not only did it feel like I was neglecting family and friends by working on my craft, but I was also neglecting my personal time with the Lord. This was not becoming a healthy habit.

A very good friend and mentor of mine, Dianna Hobbs, wrote such an inspiring post Friday. There she said, "You see, many of us have been given exceptional gifts and talents by God, but, if we're not careful, we'll focus more on cultivating our gifts, instead of nurturing the anointing on our lives through prayer, studying God's word, and living a life that's pleasing in the sight of the Lord."

This spoke volumes to me because God was just dealing with me about this. There had to come a time when I'd close my laptop and open my bible just to spend that quality time with Him. There had to come a time when I'd turn the television off and play worship music just to saturate myself with songs of Praise. This was the habit I'd much rather develop!

Not only is my time with the Lord important. My time with my family is just as important. I admit, there has been days when I would be so consumed with writing that hours would go by and my son would just play independently in his room- occasionally coming beside me for attention. This would break my heart. The Lord would greatly convict me there. Though I enjoy spending quality time with my son (and now daughter), I had to pray and ask the Lord to forgive me and then help me to keep my priorities in line! My son is at such a crucial age of development. It's time for mommy to get on the floor and engage!

You've heard it said many times. The correct order of life is God first, family second and work/ministry third. Though I'm not so sure if it's scriptural, I will say this makes absolute sense. Though God is number one in our household, my family certainly should take precedence over work and even ministry work. Yes, ministry. Although you are walking in obedience to the Lord, your household ministry should be your first ministry.

This is primarily why I took a bit of a break from writing for a little while. Rechecking our priorities will keep us inline with what matters most.

Now, along with this message, I do want to encourage you do the best with your time. Sometimes, you should focus on honing your craft instead of hanging out. And, sometimes you need a break and should rest and relax. Keep a listening ear to how the Lord is leading you. He'll always lead you on the right path, which will have your priorities in line. Follow Him!

If you are a stay-at-home mom like I am, then our children should be first priority. I'm learning this as a stay-at-home mom. My time with my children should come before my writing. I have small children, so this means I have to schedule my time in between their naps. All it takes is a little scheduling.

I want you to know that you are greatly blessed and that God has such incredible things in store for you. I encourage you to line your gifts and talents up with the Lord. Spend more quality time basking in His presence and allowing the Lord to speak to you about your gift. He will lead and guide you to make the right decisions about what to do with your time. Remember, we can't do it on our own. Remember it's "...Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts" (Zech. 4:6b).


Thank you for visiting The Ready Writer today. I pray this entry has blessed you. Be encouraged in the Lord and in the power of His might!

Blessings,

Kennisha Hill| www.kennisha-hill.com

4 comments:

MOMSWEB said...

Mmmmm....good word to chew on! I'm guilty in the friendship department, but I must say that facebook has been a big blessing to me (smile).

Christian Mommy Writer said...

Thanks for your transparency on this blog. It's so easy to get our priorities out of order. I struggle with this too. I'm doing better on this, but I still need God's help to organize my day.

Kennisha Hill said...

@Momsweb, Thanks so much for your comment. Facebook is a huge blessing to me as well. =)

Kennisha Hill said...

Tonya,

The more people I talk to about this the more I see how common it is to get off track a bit. It certainly shows us how human we are and how we clearly aren't robots! Would be much easier if we were robots though. :) Thank God for giving us the wisdom to learn how to put things in perspective!

Take Care!