Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Listen to God's voice!



John 10:27 "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

Yesterday, would have been the perfect writing day for me. Both of my children were taking a nice nap, I had done some house work and I prepared myself to jump right into my current non-fiction manuscript. I was anxious to get going on the next section of this book, especially since it's near completion. There I sat. Computer on, television off and the only sound echoing in my living room was the sound of someone cutting grass outside. Ahhh... a beautiful time to write, or so I thought. For the life of me, I could not get a single word out. I read through previously written chapters to get a feel for how I was going to begin this one. But, nothing would come out. And so, I thought...well, maybe I'll just read more in my novel's manuscript and see if I want to make any adjustments there. Since the novel is complete and awaiting editing, I figured I could do some light sprucing up in there. Again, nothing. I sat at my desk with my hands on my head and thought, "I've got severe writers block!"

And then, in the sweetest firm voice ever, I could hear the Lord tell me to rest. In fact, he said it to me the exact same way He said it Sunday; rest. Well, Okay Lord, I said, before closing my laptop and sitting back on the couch. I knew the Lord was speaking to me about really getting rest because the past few nights, I was really pushing it. Up at crazy hours finishing chapters, nursing and changing diapers; getting three hours of sleep a night. Bags presently peeked under my eyes. I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "Okay Kennisha, you need to stop and rest."

Thankfully, I was able to get a good night's rest last night. I said, "No writing tonight...I'm going to close my eyes and get some good sleep." My littlest only woke up once and then went right back to sleep. This allowed me to get rest. It was needed.

You know, God speaks to us in so many ways. And when he does, it's always to tell us something for our well-being. God cares enough about me to make sure I'm getting the rest I need to perform. But, I had to listen and obey in order to produce. Easily, I could have pushed it too far and wrote anything in my book. But, in my heart and mind it's more important for me to write what I know the Lord is telling me to. My prayer is always for God to write through me. If I want God to do that, I have to write when he says write and stop when he says stop.

I believe this is very important if you're doing work for the kingdom. I don't want to present anything to God. I want it to be something holy and acceptable to His sight; just as I do when I submit my body to Him as a living sacrifice. (Romans 12:1). In the same manner, let us submit our works to Him so that he may be glorified.

This week, I encourage you to listen to the Lord. Turn the television and iPod off to hear what God is saying to you. Remember, He'll only tell you what's best for you. This is how we follow Him.


Blessings to you all in Jesus Christ,
Kennisha Hill
http://www.kennisha-hill.com | http://kennishahill.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Saved M.O.M. said...

GREAT POST KT!!! You are so right! I am glad to hear the book is almost done. Can't wait to read it. Maybe we can do a book tour together one day!!! God Bless :) kis babies for me.

Christian Mommy Writer said...

This is a good post.

Rest is important and sometimes we push ourselves too hard. God has everything under control and I'm sure that you will still receive wisdom and inspiration for your book after getting the proper rest.

Have a blessed day and look forward to reading your next book!

Faith Imagined said...

You are speaking to me! I have been way too busy lately (my own fault). I need to turn everything off and rest!