Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Better now than later...


At 11:39PM last night, I made the decision to hop in my car and drive to the emergency room. This slight chest pain I was feeling was enough to make me get there just to exhaust all possibilities with a Cardiologist. You see, when I was 18 years old, I was diagnosed with a minor heart condition called Mitral Valve Prolapse; my Mitral Valve works a little harder than usual sometimes, which can cause shortness of breath and heart palpatations. But last night, I was experiencing chest pain. My husband stayed home with the kids who were sound asleep and I headed toward Lewisville Medical Center.

I sat there with a mindset to get in and find out exactly what was causing such discomfort. I had my own set of ideas. Last week I picked up my 2 year old son the wrong way and I believe I pulled a muscle. Although this is probably the cause, chest pain is something I'd rather not ignore, especially having been diagnosed with a slight heart condition before. So, I continued to wait.

Only five minutes after being in the ER, the nurse called me back. She sat me down and took my demographics, before taking my blood pressure. She then looked at the machine and asked, "Did you struggle with high blood pressure before?" I looked at the screen and the reading was alarming but not surprising. Almost a week ago I was just at my Cardiologist for the same reason and he also noticed how high my BP was. You see, after I had Kerissa (my 5 month old) my BP shot up through the roof. I had to stay an extra day in the hospital before being discharged. He ended up putting me on HBP meds to regulate it. It worked. But, I did not think it would be that high again. And, it was.

The highest reading very early this morning was 190/125. I began to grow scared. My pressure was never that high... and I'm assuming it was higher than high because of where I was- in the ER. Well, they were not going to let me go until my pressure dropped tremendously. After 12+ hours at the hospital, my blood pressure finally dropped to a passable reading. I was given a perscription and sent home.

While I was there, I made a big decision. I decided to nip this issue in the bud now instead of later. You see, I never struggled with HBP before and knew that Hypertension is something that absolutely can lead to stroke or heart attack. Although they did diagnose me with postpartum hypertension, I decided that this is something I would rather not ever see again. I began asking the nurse a series of questions. What can I do now to fix this? Exercise? Watch my salt in-take? Have low stress levels? This all came to my mind as early as last Friday at the Cardiologist. But early this morning, I really made my mind up.

The nurse began to tell me that people who have high blood pressure and ignore it for 20+ years are the ones who are more prone to a possible stroke or other heart complications. She said I'm too young and thin to have heart disease. I told her, "well if I need to be a vegetarian..." And, she said, "Now you don't have to take it that far... eat and enjoy your food."

I was a little surprised by her comment because you'd think a nurse would encourage you in your diet decisions, as long as they are healthy. Well, this nurse had quite a funny sense of humor. I continued to share with her that I am going to do what I need to do now take care of my body. It doesn't make any sense for me to just ignore this today and suffer with issues later. It's time to take action, today.

1Corinthians 6:19 says, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own..."


It's easy to pray and believe God for health and strength in our bodies. In fact, we should. However, it doesn't make sense to ask God for health and strength when we aren't doing what we can to take care of our temples. As the scripture reads above, our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. God has trusted us with these bodies so we can take care of them, while we are here on earth. This means, we need to treat them well.

I've personally decided to start a work out regeme. I'm going to eat better, work out daily and make sure I'm getting plenty rest.

We are all busy with a lot going on. I truly believe we would operate more effectively with our bodies being in shape. God will honor our prayers for long life and good health if we do our part by taking care of ourselves. I'm agreeing with you in prayer for perfect health in your body. Do your part today too!


Thank you for visiting my blog. I pray this blog has encourage you today. Feel free to forward this email to your friends and family! Have a blessed week!

Warmly,
Kennisha Hill | Founder, Marital Bliss Magazine
http://www.maritalblissonline.com | Subscribe Today!

2 comments:

MOMSWEB said...

Sigh...I don't believe in coincidence and for me to drop by today and read this post was definitely meant to be. I too, have HBP. I have a slim frame, rarely eat fried foods, I eat only fish as a source of meat, and I'm not a salt person. Well, it's deep in my family genes, so I've been graced also. The only thing that has helped me is daily exercise - cardio. I tried walking four miles a day and that didn't even help, but dancing does. Funny huh? I'm still on meds, but trying my best to get off them. Apple Cider Vinegar helps also.

You're right, it makes no sense to ask God for healing if we aren't doing our part.

Good for you for making up your mind to take care of yourself.
Glad I dropped by today!

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
Take care of yourself. I have had my own health issues and have had to learn to pace myself.