Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Don't just look it, be about it!


Recently, I've been talking about making changes to my diet, getting more sleep and exercising. I just have to tell this funny story about my experience having a Stress Echo-cardiogram done.

Last Friday, I had a Stress Echo done at my Cardiologist office. A Stress Echo test is what they do to determine how your heart beats before and after exertion. I had to do an echo-cardiogram (ultra sound of my heart) done first, run on the treadmill to get my heart rate high and then quickly do another echo. I didn't know what to expect, except that I would have to walk/run on a treadmill. "Oh, I can do that with no problem", I thought. So, I got on the treadmill.

The pace started off slow and steady. And then, it quickly sped up. My heart rate had to jump up to 164bpm. Starting with a heart rate of 94-100bpm, I knew I'd have to really work it to get to 164bpm. But again, I was so confident that I could do it. I'm not over-weight, so I assumed it would be no problem.

Clearly, I was wrong.

By the time I got up to 140bpm, I was huffing and puffing on that machine. I was losing my breath. I needed to stop. The nurse walked up to me and started to coach me.. "You can do it.. come on Kennisha." I looked at him and said, "Are you kidding me? You sure you don't need me to get to 140 instead of 164?" I was desperate for air. And to make matter's worse, the pace of the treadmill continued to increase and it even started to elevate as if I was running up a hill. This was not something I expected. By the time I reached 166bpm, I could have fallen on the floor in exhaustion.

I got off that treadmill completely disappointed in myself. You see, I am a big advocate for working-out and staying in shape. My love for the gym started when I was in high school. I would faithfully go to the French Riveria Spa with my mom. I used to run on the treadmill for 30 minutes, lift weights on my arms and legs and participate in a step and cardio-kickboxing class back to back. I worked out hard and was in the best shape ever. I continued this routine even after I moved to Atlanta where I joined Crunch Fitness gym. However, I haven't joined a gym yet in Texas. (My current mission).

This experience has shown me that I need do better than "look" like I'm healthy. I need to get back in shape.

There is a big misconception that because I have a petite and slim build that I am in shape. People used to look at me in the gym and question my point of being in there. I'd get the nastiest faces. Well, the truth is, just because I look like I'm in shape it doesn't mean I am.

This same principle can apply to any part of our lives- even spiritually. We can sit at work with a bible on our desk at work trying to look holier than thou, but have a heathen spirit in us. You know what I'm talking about.

My advice to you is don't just look it; be about it! 


If you need to make some adjustments to your life in order to be more Christ-like, then do it. Please don't use the I'm a babe in Christ excuse. If you really do want to grow closer to God, I advise you to put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:11 says "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me."

It's time that you make the necessary changes for your personal, physical and spiritual growth. James 4: 8 says "Draw near to God and God will draw near to you".

Today, I encourage you to leave the mask at home and be real. If you truly desire a deeper relationship with God, then walk away from the things that you know are hindering your growth. Ask God to reveal what those things are to you. He will. And once he does, step away from them. One day you'll just get tired of wearing a mask. Besides, God can see behind it anyway.

Thank you for visiting my blog. I pray this blog has encourage you today. Feel free to forward this email to your friends and family! Have a blessed week!

Warmly,
Kennisha Hill | Founder, Marital Bliss Magazine
http://www.maritalblissonline.com | Subscribe Today!

3 comments:

Sanctified Together said...

True words! I want to 'be about it' and not just 'look it'! Another awesome post!

-c

Kennisha Hill said...

Thanks so much for your comment, Christina! I visited you and Alisa's website and I absolutely love it! Praise God for women walking in the light of Christ!

Please come by again!

Prayers and Blessings,
Kennisha

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

This is also a good fit with what God's been speaking to me as well...

about my body being the temple of his Holy Spirit. Oh, how I've failed him in this regard, time and again. I need the strength and the "want to" of his Holy Spirit enabling me to make some substantial changes. I'm an exerciser, but the diet is at a huge deficit right now.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. It's good to re-connect with your heart, friend.

peace~elaine