Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Just let it go!


A few weekend's ago, some of my good mommy friends and I had our annual Mommy Weekend Away. We had such an incredible time last year, we immediately thought to plan another one. It was certainly much needed because being away from our children (although my 4 month old was there) just to breathe and cloudless and crisp weather, made the weekend that much more beautiful. We talked, laughed, played Taboo and relaxed. Although this weekend was near perfect, I was hit with an unexpected blow of food poisoning.



Early that Saturday morning, I woke up to excruciating pain in my stomach. And moments later, I was running to the bathroom; vomiting uncontrollably. "Pregnancy?" I thought. "Lord knows that's not funny. I have a four month old!!!". I wrestled with that thought, although it could have been a possibility. But through the remainder of that morning, my body assured me that it was not pregnancy. Instead, the violent way my body was trying to empty whatever was coming against it was a sure sign of food poisoning. I was truly a mess.

That morning, I remember praying for relief; that whatever this thing is that's causing my body to react so violently, would just come out. I couldn't think of what I ate that could be causing such a reaction. Pizza? An insane amount of Nilla Waffers? Popcorn? Raising Canes? Everyone else ate those things too, but apparently, my body did not respond well to one of them. My body's response was to let it go.

After much prayer and a very tough three hours that morning, I was finally back to normal. Once the culprit was gone, I could enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Today, I wonder, what is it that you know your spirit is trying to get rid of, but that you try your hardest to hold on to?

Yes, there are things that we naturally love... but you've heard the saying. Not everything that you love is good for you. And, just like I had such a relief, you can have just the same. You see, the things that aren't good for us will only cause set-back to us spiritually. The more we engulf ourselves with ungodly things (i.e, demonically influenced music, movies, books..etc) we leave ourselves open to falling- especially if we sincerely want a relationship with the Lord and not just to be what I call a Sunday Seat-Warmer. God truly wants to build with you, but you've got to make some moves too.
 Today, I challenge you to examine what could be in the way of your growing relationship with God.

Romans 12:9 says, "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."

Prayer:


Father, today I ask that you would give me the strength to turn away from the things that are detrimental to my walk with you. Whatever those distractions are, I ask that you would reveal them to me so that I can be all that you have created me to be. Lead me and guide me by your Holy Spirit. This I ask,in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

3 comments:

lynnmosher said...

Oh, dear, I'm so sorry you were sick during your get-away weekend. Not fun! And I know that violent letting go! Ugh! I'm glad you're better. I loved your post. Maybe if our bodies reacted that violently to the sins in which we so readily participate, maybe we'd stop doing them! Be blessed, my sweet friend!

MOMSWEB said...

I like lynnmosher's comment about our bodies reacting to sin. That would definitely be something and I believe our physical sickness, bitterness, anger, and other things are signs of our lack of surrender to God.

Glad you're feeling better!

Christian Mommy Writer said...

Amen to Lynn's comment!

Sorry you weren't feeling well. I've had food poisoning really bad a couple of times and it is no fun!

I love the analogy. We have to be really careful about what we digest into our spirit.