Thursday, December 10, 2009

Do we really ache for others?


I'm noticing a new reaction from my 2 year old son Kellus. When he sees anyone crying or with a very sad face he becomes sad. If they fall down and get hurt, he immediately runs to the rescue with the most loving warmth of compassion in his eyes.

Just today he was watching one of his favorite shows, Wow-Wow-Wubzy and one of the characters became sad. In the midst of eating his lunch, he walked over to the other side of his room and sat on the floor with the saddest grin on his face. He whined, folded his arms and sat there for about 2 minutes-until that scene was done. And when the character was happy again, he was back to eating his sandwich and bouncing around his room...almost as if he was so glad to see him smiling again.

What's even more ironic about this situation is how seconds prior I was just thinking about how lately my heart has been aching for others around me who are going through. There are two situations very near and dear to my heart that my family is experiencing. And, my mind has constantly been on them- praying and standing by for whatever way I can help.

Well, I left Kellus' room wondering if we really are as sensitive to other people's aches and pains like my son Kellus demonstrated. Do we really feel their hurt? Does other people's afflictions affect us?

When people go through, it's easy for us to say we'll say a prayer for them. But, are we really praying? It's easy to say we want to help them, but will we do everything possible to stop and help? I believe the art of compassion is much deeper than just saying what we'll do. We all know that actions speak louder than words.

I don't know about you, but my son's example really spoke volumes to me. I want that type of compassion. Not to feel burdoned by other people's problems, because that's not what I'm talking about. But instead, I want to be the extra hand someone needs... the extra hug they've been waiting for... the extra word of encouragement they've been seeking... the person to say I Love You if it's been years since they've heard it. In essence what I'm saying is, I want God to use me to give compassionately to other's.

This is the type of thing people need. Not to feel judged all the time or like they have to live on this earth to impress someone. They need people who will ache for them and interceed for them. Someone who will be Christ-like.

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind and
compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Today, I'd like to encourage you to practice being compassionate. Ask God to show you how to help other people and truly ache for them- to ache enough to really pray and want to help your brothers and sisters who are in need. In the same measure you give, it will be given back to you!


Thank you for visiting "The Ready Writer". If you liked today's devotional and want to learn how you can get a copy of my latest release Simply Wisdom, please visit http://www.kennisha-hill.com. My new revision to Simply Wisdom will be released on January 9, 2010. Preorder your copy today!

Warmly,
Kennisha Hill| Author, Simply Wisdom
http://www.kennisha-hill.com

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Been praying as of late for an authentic "ache" within that leads me to action, not just words. Your son is demonstrating a child-like understanding of how we all should respond to the needs of others; keep training him accordingly.

Also glad to see that the book is doing so well, and that you are preparing for a re-release! Looks beautiful. Way to go, friend.

peace~elaine