Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Wretch Like Me


I don't know about you, but tears filled my eyes at the surprise tribute to Steve Harvey, who for 10 years hosted Celebration of Gospel on BET. When the camera's showed Steve's reaction, I melted. All sorts of thoughts rolled through my mind. "Steve actually has a real heart." "Steve is really trying." The compassion in me really wanted to give him a great big hug. It was truly an awesome moment, to me.


Many people still speculate after hearing about Steve's decision to follow Christ. "Steve still cusses in his performances." "Steve hasn't changed". At the beginning of this particular show, he even admitted how his long-time friend and one of the original Kings of Comedy, Cedric-The-Entertainer said "If he is going to host Celebration of Gospel without cussing, I've got to see that." Can you imagine being in such a position with so much influence coming against you- but yet and still you know God is calling you out of darkness to walk into the light. I'm imaging it's really not a very easy thing for Steve, who has been in this limelight for years.

When Donnie McClurkin began to sang "We Fall Down", Steve broke down. His wife immediately began to console him. Steve talks about his wife, Marjorie, who "has made his life full, complete and most importantly, so peacefully happy that it has allowed him to sit down and think beyond his current circumstance" [taken from Acknowledgments in his book Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man] Sounds like a woman of faith to me. In his book, he open expresses how his wife is a great spiritual (Godly) influence in his life. That speaks volumes to me.

I think the moment Marvin Sapp began to sing "The Best In Me", it really reaffirmed something for Steve. That really touched his heart (I'm imagining) because so many people did not see it in him, but God. You see, this is a very powerful message to me. Here's why.

People will always bring up your past when you begin to talk about change. They like to remind of who you were, what you did and where you went. This saddens me because for the longest I've wondered, why can't people just see your potential? Why pull someone else down by reminding them of what they already know. You see, we tussle enough about where we come from and don't really need a reminder. We already know where we've been. This is nothing but a trick of the enemy. Once you've come to the Lord, old things have passed away all things became new. You are no longer who you once were. You are now redeemed and covered by the blood of Jesus.

2Corinthians 5:17 says, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come."

When I heard that song and thought about Steve's situation, I began to think about my own. I'm not now nor have I ever been perfect all of my life. I've never pretend to be. I had a lifestyle filled with sin and was headed down a very dangerous road. But, for the Grace of God. You see, when people sing songs like "The Best In Me", "We Fall Down" and even "Amazing Grace", I always think of how God sent Jesus to save a wretch like me. And not only save me, but look at me and see potential. He thought I could actually be used on his side, for His kingdom. For His glory.

What?

It puzzles me sometimes when I think about how God literally dug me out of the mud and washed me in his blood. I know you know what I'm talking about.

I count it as a privilege to serve God and am honored and humbled that God even thought to see the best in me when I hated myself. How he loved me when I didn't love myself. How he redemed me when I thought all hope was gone. How he filled me with joy unspeakable when I was empty and felt like absolutely nothing could dig me out of depression.

Those songs really remind me of God's goodness and mercy. Psalm 23:6 says "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." That's a whole lot of goodness and a whole lot of mercy.

I hope this is blessing you today.

I want to remind you that God loves you so much that he sees what you don't even see in yourself. He knows your potential. He knows your worth. The bible says you were fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14). There's a lot of influence that's even around you- just like they are around Steve. People are trying to pull you in all sorts of directions and distract you from what God wants you to do- which is to get closer to Him. I encourage you to step away from those distractions.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice things for the sake of your relationship with God. Even if you need to let go of friends, family, things..etc. Whatever it is, do what you need to do to get things right with God. Allow God to work in and through you. I'm telling you, there's nothing quite like the peace God can give you- the security, fulfillment and joy unspeakable.

We don't deserve his goodness because of sin... but thank God for Jesus, his saving blood and grace!

Copyright 2010, Kennisha Hill.


Thank you for visiting "The Ready Writer". Blessings to you this week!


Pre-Order your copy of "Simply Wisdom: Empowerment for Your Purpose" for only $10.00 before January 23rd! Get this encouraging devotional today!

View my sidebar on my blog to Pre-Order your copy!
http://kennishahill.blogspot.com/

http://kennisha-hill.homestead.com/
Visit to Pre-Order your copy for $10.00 before 1/23!!!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Kennisha,

Happy 2010 to you and your family!

You have echoed my sentiments exactly about the tribute to Steve. As someone who has been critical of him in the past, I cannot tell you what it meant to see that tribute. In fact, I now switch between his show and a Christian radio station in the morning while driving my son to school. :) And didn't Marvin KILL that song?!

Let's talk by month's end...

Tanya

Christian Mommy Writer said...

I saw the Celebration of Gospel too. I believe that God is doing a work within Steve Harvey. We have to be careful about how we judge people because we don't have a heaven or hell to put people in.

By the way, did you see the interview he did with Donnie McClurkin on Praise the Lord? If not, you need to go on YouTube and check it out.

And I agree with Tanya - Marvin Sapp put a hurtin on that song! LOL