Wednesday, February 3, 2010

You have a direct connection.

This year, one of my personal commitments is to spend more time in prayer. I personally just desire to draw closer to him. James 4:8, which says "Draw Near to God, and God will draw near to you", seems to be a motto of mine. Every day I try to stay in an attitude of prayer and meditate on the Lord. I've even tried to designate a special time for me to close the shutters, turn off the lights and get on my knees to pray. 

This quiet time is therapy for me and usually happens once the kids are taking a nap. I've had good weeks of consistency and well...honestly...some inconsistent days. Here's why.

Both of my beautiful blessings, Kellus II and Kerissa can be very unpredictable. Sometimes they are on a consistent schedule, which would allow me the time to pray and study among other things. Then there are weeks where that's just impossible

Last week, they both had runny noses and kept me up in the middle of the night. This has caused their schedule to get completely off coarse. Instead of taking a nap at the same time, they've been tag-teaming each other. Kellus goes down and Kerissa wakes up. It was that way every day last week. Missing my appointed time in prayer was starting to become a frustrating thing for me. I was longing for that quiet time and felt closer than ever to God. When I'd miss it, I felt like God was disappointed; like I was forced to become separate from him momentarily. But then, the Lord sweetly corrected me. 

He began to show me that He's still here walking with me and I don't have to necessarily rush to my knees in such a religious way. Although time in your prayer closet is important and develops intimacy with Him, God does understand our earthly responsibilities- in my case, my husband and children. God confirmed this word for me in church during our Week of Consecration, which happened to be the same week my kids were up in the middle of the night.

You see, we have to be careful about becoming religious with God. We should remember that it's a real relationship that we have with Him. We shouldn't be bound by religion.

Religion says, "You need to pray every day at 3PM when the kids are taking a nap. If you don't do this, you can't get closer to God."

Relationship says, "So, you missed this time in prayer today, that's okay. You can still talk to me when you are washing dishes, or tending to your children, sitting at your work desk, walking through the mall or taking a shower. It doesn't matter where you are. I'm right here."

Can you see the difference? 

During the Week of Consecration, our guest speaker confirmed this word for me. He explained to us how Moses and Abraham did not have the bible to read every day. They had a direct connection with God. 

They walked with God.

They communed with Him.

They had an established relationship with Him.

In the same way, we [can] have the same connection with him daily. We can simply open our mouths and talk to our heavenly Father. 

He's waiting. 

He's listening.

He's longing for us to connect with Him.

What I received from this revelation is simple. Just because I missed my special time I set aside for prayer, it doesn't mean I can't pick another time to talk to the Lord through my day. I can because he's right there with me. I'm not bound by religious laws that tell me if I don't pray at this certain time that I'm going to hell. It's just not true.

I really want you to understand that too.

God loves us so much that he wants us to have a real relationship with him. One that is not bound by laws of religion. Instead, a relationship that's intimate and personal. 

This week I challenge you to practice spending more time drawing to Him. Allow the scripture in James 4:8 to inspire you to draw closer to Him. You can connect with him in the same way the prophets of old did. He's the same God today that He was yesterday.


Thank you for visiting The Ready Writer. I pray this entry has blessed you today. Have a blessed week in our Lord Jesus Christ!

Warmly,
Kennisha Hill
Author & Speaker| http://kennisha-hill.homestead.com



4 comments:

MOMSWEB said...

Amen! No religion here! Well, except brushing my teeth and bathing - those things I do religiously (smile).

Glad I dropped by!

Dianna Hobbs said...

Awesome word today Kennisha! As a busy mom (especially when the kids are sick!) I know how tough it can be to keep a predictable schedule. Thank God for direct connection and for His grace. I really enjoyed this today!

Asia said...

Very nice, thanks for this post.

Christian Art and Design said...

definately blessed me, i struggle with getting close to God, it's like a realtionship to a husband if I had one, maybe you don't like what God has allowed and you don't want to talk to Him, or like me I pout and act like well, I don't want to talk with you like a little kid. Nice to know He's always there even when we act ugly. :) thanks for this.