Friday, July 2, 2010

Be careful of who influences you!

On Wednesday night's, my pastor has been talking about Transfer of Spirits and just how real they are. Have you ever seen the movie Fallen- starring Denzel Washington? If you haven't, through out the movie and as people walk by each other, they all connect with the same 'spirit' that was in a murderer who was just given the death penalty. It's sort of freaky to think about. But, it is more realistic than people think.

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever been in a great mood- I mean, soaring through the day with the most cheery attitude? You're feeling great because today, life is great. And then suddenly, your day is interrupted by someone who has a completely negative attitude about their situation.

Suddenly, you find yourself feeling almost the exact same way that they do. In fact, your conversation with them has completely drained you and distracted you from your spiritual high. Now, you're about a low as they are.

Well, whether we recognize it or not, their sulking spirit transferred right into you- just like in Fallen. Now, you're humming the same tune they are.

Frustrating, isn't it?

My good friend, Dianna Hobbs, blogged about this very same thing today on her blog The Daily Cup of Inspiration. There she wrote:


"...we have to embrace the things and individuals that motivate us, and go ahead and release those that keep us hindered. Whether we realize it or not, whatever "tune is playing" in our ears, hearts, and minds, impacts how we think, feel, and respond... for better or worse."
I wanted to shout after reading that. It couldn't be more true. 
God is amazing at how he places people in our lives (strategically) to motivate, push, inspire, and encourage us to move forward in God's purpose for our lives. But rest assured, your greatest adversary is prepared to send the exact opposite along your path.
The people who sulk, complain, whine, are always depressed and down and who are flat out discouraging. Those are the people you should be careful of. Honestly, you don't have time for that. Things can be discouraging enough on its own sometimes... why allow people to make it worse?
Yesterday, I made a decision (as I shared with my husband) that I am not going to allow people to become a hindrance in my life. I don't have the time nor energy to constantly be pulled down by negativity- and neither do you. 

Instead, surround yourself with people who wear the Fruit of the Spirit- people who exemplify love, peace, joy, meekness, kindness, gentleness, long-suffering, temperance and faith. Those are the types of people you want to associate yourself with. Leave all negativity behind you and move forward!
Pray for others, but remember yourself too and watch that people don't transfer their spirits to you!
Thanks for visiting The Ready Writer. Have a blessed weekend!

Warmly,
Kennisha Hill


5 comments:

quietspirit said...

Kennisha:
You have just described my life with certain people. I can be up having a very good day and then, someone calls me on the phone. All I have to do is hear a voice and I am on the downward shute.

Pamela Unay said...

Great article Mrs. Hill. God Bless. Deut.28 - Hangs all over the building in our Church...one of my favorite passages of scripture. Peace, Love, and Blessings to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting post. I think you are right that we are so easily influenced by others we come in contact with. I try to always be positive, even in negative circumstances. I try to brighten other people's days.

Karen & Gerard said...

You are right! People can bring you down. I try to always stay positive and optimistic, looking for the good in things and people. I try to brighten others' days.

MOMSWEB said...

Not enough of this word is shared, preached, or passed on. This is real stuff. Amen, amen, and AMEN!