Monday, July 26, 2010

Do it unto the Lord- not unto Man

My husband is over the review team for DaSouth.com. He receives music from artist almost every day. Artist send in their music so they can get a review and have it posted on DaSouth. Since, DaSouth is the best source of information for Gospel Rap and various Gospel Genres, it is a very trusted site. And so, people who are contemplating purchasing music often check with the reviews  on DaSouth to see what's hot and what's not.

Now, my husband and I often have a different opinion about reviews- the importance/non-importance of them. My argument has always been, as long as the review is not tearing the artist down...especially since it's for ministry purpose. I mean, who wants to get a 2-stars for their review after they've done their best to put their project together and submit it to the Lord.

Really, I feel like once you have God's approval... you don't need man's. However, getting reviews is not necessarily a bad thing because it can really help promote your project and further help expose it to more people.

But here's my major concern. I think it's so easy to get caught up in caring so much about what man has to say. Eventually, what happens is that we forget that we don't need their approval or say so to keep moving forward.

I recently have been considering sending Awakened to various places for review. I already know that because I independently published, edited and am promoting it that immediately many will probably reject to even review it. Some only want to review from a publishing house. But there are some that have agreed to review. But one of the first things they said was, "Be prepared for an honest review."

Honest.

And that's what honestly gave me a little trepidation. I'm going to be real with you, I've never worked so hard on a project in my life. This novel has been rewritten several (hundred it feels) times. I've had several people read, review and critique. And I've taken all of the great things/suggestions everyone along my writing path have offered and highly considered them as I revised this book. And finally, I believed it was ready for publication. So, I decided to push it out there on my own.

It's not a perfect book. You may find an error or two. But over all (and I am my worst critique) I believe it's a powerful story filled with substance, empowerment, inspiration and motivation for women, single people and really anyone seeking God's purpose for their life. It's really a great story.

But, if I submit to people for review, it's a high chance that these exact words won't flow in their opinion. And that's okay. Do you know why? Because, God's opinion/approval is what matter's the most to me.

Here's what I'd like to encourage you with today. Let's try not to allow people's opinions to dictate what we do. A simple review should not hold us back from pressing forward. We're supposed to take the things people say with a grain of salt. But beyond that cliche, try to do what you do unto the Lord and not unto men. At the end of the day, it's all about God accepting your gift and talent for his kingdom.

(Colossians 3:23) "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.."

Thank you for visiting The Ready Writer. Have a blessed week in our Lord Jesus Christ!

Warmly,
Kennisha Hill, Author & Speaker
http://kennisha-hill.com

2 comments:

Keisha said...

Amen! I love this post, Kennisha! I'm so with you...as long as God approves then that's all that matters. Of course, it's human nature to want others to "like" what you do, but even if they don't, as long as God is pleased that's all the approval you need.

Queen said...

Wow! I just read this Nisha and almost flipped out of my seat! God is definitely trying to help His people in this area! Praise God for truth!