Monday, July 12, 2010

Leave Fear Behind and Step Out in Faith

My husband and I are over the teen ministry at our church home. Yesterday, we had our first Sunday discussion with them about Faith Over Fear. We talked about the importance of trusting God, not being afraid and about how fear can cause you to miss out on operating in your purpose. Fear is something that can get such a huge hold on you- it'll cause you miss out on anything. And there's all types of fears out there holding people back (even teens). Fear of failure and success. Fear of what others will think if they take a stand of righteousness instead of bowing to the world. I'm sure you can list a few.

Well, yesterday the Lord showed something to me about myself- sort of like a personal revelation. I have to be completely honest with you and say that I am not a good planner. My friends can tell you that anytime there's a baby-shower or any sort of party, I'm never the first one who's eager to plan it. I just don't believe I'm gifted in that area. My sister in law and close friends are. But, I personally would rather help out if I have to...and let them enjoy all the planning. I'm not a big party person.

With that said, the thought of planning, arranging and marketing my own book greatly intimated me!!!! I really wanted to have my own PR rep handle things for me. And trust me, if I had the money, I would. But, for now, if I want to market my latest release Awakened (or any book), I'm the one who will have to shake off that fear and get to work!

I recently had a very timely conversation with my mentor (you know who you are ;-) ). She spoke some very powerful words that were so uplifting. Her friendship and wisdom are very valuable to me. You see,  I literally had no clue about what my next steps should be when it came to marketing this book. There's so much more to it than just Facebook, Twitter and Blogging! Writing the book is probably the easiest part. Marketing it, should be the fun part...however for me, it's tedious and it always makes my stomach twirl around in circles.

Making phone calls to independent bookstores.
Sending out mass emails.
Writing articles. (the only fun part to me lol)
Mailing (emailing) copies for review.
Setting up interviews (all media)

The list goes on. And the truth is, if I want to get the word out about Awakened, there's a lot of work that comes with that. I had to really begin to examine things in a little different light.

This is what I mean. In all things, I want to operate in excellence. And, I know without a shadow of a doubt that this book was meant to be here. I had to write it. And now that I did, I know I can't just let books just sit on my bookshelf. If I believe the message was meant to be delivered... then I'd better deliver it and spread the word. :)

So, I literally had to pray and shake off that intimidation and prepare to do a little bit at a time. I'm no PR expert because I'm not a good 'planner'. But, I do know that Faith without works is dead and if I want to see the Lord's will be done with this book... I'd better do my best to spread the word about it so that the people who need to read it can get to it!

Today, I encourage you to release any fear or intimidation to the Lord. Get on your knees and ask the Lord to help you do what he has called you to do. He'll do it- and it just might be through a very sweet and helpful mentor like he did for me. God's will be done, always! Don't be afraid... just go for it in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Thank you for visiting The Ready Writer. I pray this blog entry has encouraged and ministered to you today! Have a blessed week!

Kennisha Hill | http://kennisha-hill.com
Author of Awakened and Simply Wisdom

1 comment:

fallingintofavor said...

I agree with your post. I never quite understand why I sometimes let fear take a grip and delay me from moving toward my purpose. And I know that it's not God's plan for me.

I'm following your advice: shaking off intimidation and doing a little bit at a time. My mom always reminds me to "take A step." Just one step. It's easier to take the next one after the first one.